Thinking about buying a Garmin Edge

Longjohn

Who uses them here? My bike shop doesn’t sell them so I’ll probably have to order online. What are your feelings about them? Is it just another expensive doodad that you have to worry about someone swiping when you turn your back? I haven’t put a computer on my new bike yet, thinking about just buying an Edge.

I just bought an Edge 830 bundle. Reason is that I am in a new area and not familiar with the routes near me. The cycling here is fantastic; I just need to learn the roads. These are two lane country roads, some paved, some gravel. I can download routes from Map my ride and get turn by turn directions. Having HR and cadence will help with training as I can chart progress. The 830 bundle isn’t cheap at $500. I saved $100 on it due to LBS connections. The Edge 530 is cheaper and still popular with many users. @bikeman564™has one and likes it I believe. 

6 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I just bought an Edge 830 bundle. Reason is that I am in a new area and not familiar with the routes near me. The cycling here is fantastic; I just need to learn the roads. These are two lane country roads, some paved, some gravel. I can download routes from Map my ride and get turn by turn directions. Having HR and cadence will help with training as I can chart progress. The 830 bundle isn’t cheap at $500. I saved $100 on it due to LBS connections. The Edge 530 is cheaper and still popular with many users. @bikeman564™has one and likes it I believe. 

I have the Edge 500 that still works. I bought it in 2012. Has plenty of features, and 20 hours of battery life, and it holds close to this. If I need to purchase an new one, it'll be the 530.

• Awesome 1

17 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I ordered the 530 Bundle after watching a YouTube comparison with the wahoo. They were close but the wahoo has buttons and the edge has touch screen. 

I don't think the 530 has touch screen.  Or, mine doesn't!  I think the 830 is a touch screen.  Buttons are WAY better if you sweat or wear gloves, as the touch screens can be far more finicky than a traditional button.

But, I have a Wahoo and I have a 530.  The Wahoo is just sitting in my drawer - unused.  I thought that was a good idea to try out, and dumped it after 6 months.  I like the Garmin line up much more and have had a 305, 500, 520, and now a 530.

image.png.8018956d713e051e6a961a54fef51900.png

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't think the 530 has touch screen.  Or, mine doesn't!  I think the 830 is a touch screen.  Buttons are WAY better if you sweat or wear gloves, as the touch screens can be far more finicky than a traditional button.

But, I have a Wahoo and I have a 530.  The Wahoo is just sitting in my drawer - unused.  I thought that was a good idea to try out, and dumped it after 6 months.  I like the Garmin line up much more and have had a 305, 500, 520, and now a 530.

image.png.8018956d713e051e6a961a54fef51900.png

I paid the same for my 530 bundled as the 830 in your post. I bought direct from Garmin.