17years old and 17 prior arrests.

maddmaxx

Last night he finally killed someone.  Accused of stealing a man's wallet at a convenience gas station he ran at high speed from those chasing him, finally crashing through a fence and killing an old man.  By the way, it was a hit and run with the police finding him today in his home hiding in a closet.

17 prior fucking arrests.  I don't know about where you live but at this time CT has a problem with teens, stolen cars and revolving courts.

• Sad 7

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I don't know about where you live but at this time CT has a problem with teens, stolen cars and revolving courts.

About ten years ago we had an Amish guy steal some archery equipment from some other Amish while they were in church. They figured out who did it by who wasn’t in church. Crime is running rampant.

• Hugs 1

35 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

About ten years ago we had an Amish guy steal some archery equipment from some other Amish while they were in church. They figured out who did it by who wasn’t in church. Crime is running rampant.

That Amish mafia show was a little entertaining. :D

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

2 years mandatory military service after high school in conjunction with college.  A good drill sergeant or an MP will destroy the rebel in almost everyone. 

We’d need to start a few more wars regional conflicts to keep all those kids busy. Probably would be be good for the economy. 

12 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

We’d need to start a few more wars regional conflicts to keep all those kids busy. Probably would be be good for the economy. 

And keep the morgues busy… 

I have always been of the opinion that your problems will follow you in the military.  Very few people from my experience get straightened out.  They were straight going in.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I think plenty of states need help with their construction and infrastructure projects. War wouldn't be needed.

• Heart 1

It's more than just the kids.  Hit and run has become much more common.  Not just kids from street gangs stealing cars, but soccer moms on cell phones, state department officials wives and more.  Something has gone wrong.  There is so little respect for others.  We're going tribal.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's more than just the kids.  Hit and run has become much more common.  Not just kids from street gangs stealing cars, but soccer moms on cell phones, state department officials wives and more.  Something has gone wrong.  There is so little respect for others.  We're going tribal.

Same as it ever was.

Over the course of 17 prior arrests, he'd learned there were no serious consequences to his actions.  So why quit, why alter his behavior?  And another thing to bear in mind is that 17 arrests means there's likely at least again as many times where he's committed a crime he could have been arrested for, but wasn't.

Except now, possibly he'll be tried as an adult and that's a whole new set a rules.  Unfortunately for him if that's the case, there's no 'do over' to get yet another chance after he realized he's now swimming with the big fish and he's no longer in the juvenile catch and release kiddie pool.

You can build a mansion, but you just can't live in it
You're the fastest runner but you're not allowed to win
Some break the rules, and let you count the cost
The insecurity is the thing that won't get lost

And you want her, and she wants you
We want everyone
And you want her and she wants you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame

You can see the summit but you can't reach it
It's the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You can build a mansion, but you just can't live in it
You're the fastest runner but you're not allowed to win
Some break the rules, and let you count the cost
The insecurity is the thing that won't get lost

And you want her, and she wants you
We want everyone
And you want her and she wants you
No one, no one, no one ever is to blame

You can see the summit but you can't reach it
It's the last piece of the puzzle but you just can't make it fit
Doctor says you're cured but you still feel the pain
Aspirations in the clouds but your hopes go down the drain

Love that song. Brings back so many memories.

• Awesome 1

16 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Last night he finally killed someone.  Accused of stealing a man's wallet at a convenience gas station he ran at high speed from those chasing him, finally crashing through a fence and killing an old man.  By the way, it was a hit and run with the police finding him today in his home hiding in a closet.

17 prior fucking arrests.  I don't know about where you live but at this time CT has a problem with teens, stolen cars and revolving courts.

It's true all over, from what my friends and relatives in other states say.

I personally think it hurts society that the attitude of that those under 18 are held to virtually no standards of responsibility, then suddenly they have complete responsibility at 18 - like the 18 year-old guy in Georgia who got several years in jail for having sex with a 17 year-old "minor" girl.

A poll in England asked adult men, "At what age should a boy begin to act like a man."  The avg. response was 12!

• 2 months later...

Let us all remember, that while I give no absolution here --that few boys can act like men without true men to mentor them.

Be that a father, a grandfather, a big brother, or a figure raised with the values to teach that manhood, without that experience, the experience of a community that carries forth the very standards needed to bring someone to that manhood, Styron's "Lord Of The Flies" is not as unrealistic a result as we would like to think it is.

Without a culture that teaches principles, values, kindness, empathy, and selflessness -we will be culturally bereft of those values themselves. We will see a neighborhood that serves itself. People who look out for number one, even at the expense of others. People whose sense of right and wrong are twisted by "What's right for me, right now in the moment, because nobody else is going to look out for me but me."

No, this isn't forgiving something horrible. It's a remembrance of what we need to be to others as we live out our lives going forward. To be the someone who looked after someone who thought nobody would. To be the someone they look up to so that when we exhibit principled behavior, we become the role model for that behavior. To be our neighbors to those in need of one, with no thought of quid pro quo. And through doing it as a community, building a nation of community serving each other, and in so doing, change the world one community at a time.

• Heart 2