Counterclockwise

petitepedal

9 hours ago, petitepedal said:

:dontknow:  Read something that said my ceiling fan should run counterclockwise ..it was not..I switched it...I wonder if I will feel cooler?

Depends, we have 2 on the enclosed porch and run one clockwise and one counter clockwise with one window open about a foot. Amazing how cool it stays, even on the 100F days. Our older Hunter fans are not adjustable, they just blow, but do a nice job of moving the air.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Ceiling fans give me an ear ache if they are running in the bedroom.  :(  But, yeah, they have the switch for you to use when you want to push heat down in the winter or pull heat up (and cooler air in) in the summer.

Funny, I thought it was the other way around. The direct air flow cools you in the summer and the gentle up & around distributes the heat without much of a breeze. 

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Funny, I thought it was the other way around. The direct air flow cools you in the summer and the gentle up & around distributes the heat without much of a breeze. 

Whatever Don shows it probably correct, but my thinking is that heat rises, so in the winter I would want to push that heat back down into the living space?  But it looks like the fan (from the picture) is pushing AND pulling the air simultaneously!  Maybe @Wilbur understands that sort of thing better, and can explain it.

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Whatever Don shows it probably correct, but my thinking is that heat rises, so in the winter I would want to push that heat back down into the living space?  But it looks like the fan (from the picture) is pushing AND pulling the air simultaneously!  Maybe @Wilbur understands that sort of thing better, and can explain it.

We really don't want hot or cold air being blown on us in the winter. 

10 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We really don't want hot or cold air being blown on us in the winter. 

So no ceiling fans used in the winter?  As someone who won't use them in summer or winter :) I can see that, but if a fan is running, it is either pulling or pushing air, so it might as well be warm air in winter and cooler air in summer. Just not sure which way that works with a ceiling fan, but conceptually, that does flip the idea I was thinking about - ie going to pushing air DOWN in the summer (create a stronger breeze) vs pulling air UP in winter to avoid a stronger breeze but still keep things circulating?

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So no ceiling fans used in the winter?  As someone who won't use them in summer or winter :) I can see that, but if a fan is running, it is either pulling or pushing air, so it might as well be warm air in winter and cooler air in summer. Just not sure which way that works with a ceiling fan, but conceptually, that does flip the idea I was thinking about - ie going to pushing air DOWN in the summer (create a stronger breeze) vs pulling air UP in winter to avoid a stronger breeze but still keep things circulating?

No, we don't use them in the winter. We live in an older house without high ceilings. We will use them on the porch to help circulate warm air from the electric heaters.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

That drawing is f-ed up. look at the pitch of the blades and the rotation versus the flow of the air.

I knew I shouldn't participate in a thread like this. It never goes well.

Let me go slow for you'all. Looking up at the fan while laying flat on the floor, counter clockwise rotation will blow air in your face. That is what you want when you pass out drunk in the summer.

summer.jpg.846a1f349b5c289d154546bee69b1814.jpg

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I knew I shouldn't participate in a thread like this. It never goes well.

Let me go slow for you'all. Looking up at the fan while laying flat on the floor, counter clockwise rotation will blow air in your face. That is what you want when you pass out drunk in the summer.

summer.jpg.846a1f349b5c289d154546bee69b1814.jpg

Thanks Donk.  Great analysis.  Fantastic explanation.  And excellent application of advanced technology.

RE still need more pictures.

• Hugs 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I need brain words!!! Pictures are just useless!

Blows on you in summer.

Generally, I say that ceiling fans are not effective in the air conditioned spaces that are like only 8' tall. To be more effective, a taller room would be warranted. 8' ceilings became prominent with the advent of A/C.

12 hours ago, petitepedal said:

:dontknow:  Read something that said my ceiling fan should run counterclockwise ..it was not..I switched it...I wonder if I will feel cooler?

My new ceiling fans run counterclockwise.  Each blade, looking at it from the end, is tilted down to the right, which catches the air on the downward surface of the blade and pushes the air down when it runs counterclockwise.  I took a couple pictures of it running, but it was just a blurry mess.

20210701_000755_900p.jpg.d48facebde955eb74f3bbc5d63356785.jpg

43 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Blows on you in summer.

Generally, I say that ceiling fans are not effective in the air conditioned spaces that are like only 8' tall. To be more effective, a taller room would be warranted. 8' ceilings became prominent with the advent of A/C.

Works nice, when you do not have AC and need to circulate cool air even with 8' ceilings. We've never been fans of high ceilings.

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Works nice, when you do not have AC and need to circulate cool air even with 8' ceilings. We've never been fans of high ceilings.

The history of housing design shows us that the design of homes is very dependent on location with consideration of the local weather conditions. I don't think you see many homes out there with traditional design features of homes of the SE USA. 

Ceiling fans are evil.

I did install one in the dining room for my wife. The builder didn’t have the right kind of electrical box in the ceiling. I had to climb through a small access hole in the hallway and climb through the roof trusses all the way out to the dining room. Remove his electrical box and back out and make a trip to the hardware store for what I needed. I told my wife she better enjoy her fan because it’s the only one you are going to get. I hate fans, they make a draft and the little ones are noisy.

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

The history of housing design shows us that the design of homes is very dependent on location with consideration of the local weather conditions. I don't think you see many homes out there with traditional design features of homes of the SE USA. 

Oh, you would be surprised with all the different designs you see here. Remember there are a lot of folks moving in with their ideas and monies to support them. The ones we shake our heads at, are the ones that build on top of a hill with no protection from the wind.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

A poor joke at best.  Seriously then that's the time to run the fan very slowly to just stir the air without creating a draft.

Yes, we use our fans effectively and have  been using them since the mid-70s. We've never been fans of AC, even when living in Texas.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

You'd like to run your ceiling fan on lowest speed. That would be most effective. Unfortunately, you will likely burn out the cheap little capacitor in there.

We often use the lower speeds, as to do anything else, we would have papers flying around the room. Fans in the main house are the old style hunters, and very heavy. Electrician that installed them here in the late 80s, was a bit shocked by their weight

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We often use the lower speeds, as to do anything else, we would have papers flying around the room. Fans in the main house are the old style hunters, and very heavy. Electrician that installed them here in the late 80s, was a bit shocked by their weight

That's probably key to longevity. "Fashion fans" are designed to be replaced in short intervals.

17 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

We have a Casablanca in the sun room with a remote wall switch for the lights (5 step brightness) the speed (5 stage) direction and a master off breaker.  Like the Hunters, it wasn't cheap but it's been operation smoothly for over 20 years.  At one speed, stage 3, I can hear that it has developed a small tick in one of the bearings.

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Are  you sure? Or does it have that little directional switch up on the base?

Hmm maybe, I haven’t looked that closely.  I’ll have to check later but it really doesn’t get so cold that we run out heater. Maybe 1-2 times a year if that.

• Envious 1

20 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I love it, we used to run an oscillating fan in our room but we chucked it. 

I allus enjoyed a fan in the open bedroom window, but then my wife decided that aggravated her allergies so now the AC is aboot always on with the hoose closed up.