I moved back home Wed. June 30!

MickinMD

3 hours ago, smudge said:

Wow finally back home! Very exciting!

Weird that some lights don't work. I'm surprised they didn't check them. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Congratulations.

When the microwave's outlet didn't work, the contractor's installation foreman was still on the job and said to me, "The electrician (subcontracted) was in a rush to get everything done and I don't like that."

I told him I had let Kristi, the interior coordinator, and Rich, the contractor, know that I could have stayed one more night in the hotel at State Farm's expense and would have spent several nights on my brother's or sister's couch afterward if that's what was needed to get everything done right.

I'm sure they'll make it all right but I'm going to plug something into every electrical outlet in the house over the next week to make sure everything's properly set up.

Meanwhile, I'm off this morning to Walmart, Dollar General, etc. to find some cheap waste paper baskets for the house and some storage cabinets for clothes, canned food, etc. until I decide how I want everything to be set up.

I have to take a 65" TV whose screen doesn't work back to Costco whose box comes apart when you open it up and won't be easy to repack.  I'll call Costco first and see how much I need to repackage it.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm sure they'll make it all right but I'm going to plug something into every electrical outlet in the house over the next week to make sure everything's properly set up.

This is the very inexpensive tool to do just that thing and this one tests gfi outlets for proper function. Get one and keep it in the kitchen junk drawer.

rt200.jpg

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

For inexplicable reasons to me, it's nice to be in a new home with a set of new dishes,  a good solid bed, nice couch.  Of course older dishes might in certain piles...

The bed is very comfortable for me and I slept well last night.

Also, I considered using the smaller, backyard-facing bedroom than the front bedroom because of street noise, but the insulation, etc. is so good that the front rooms are almost as quiet as King Tut's Tomb.

I really like the dishes.  I used to buy melamine (basically pressed wood fibers) 11" diameter dishes because I like a big plate.  They'd begin to chip in a couple months of regular microwave use. The chip resistant, etc. porcelain dishes I got, 10 15/16" are fine.

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am just impressed a bachelor uses dishes.  I would be eating out of the pot I used to cook in.  :)

Somehow I don't imagine, you would at this point in your life if your wife wasn't around. You care about your diet..which probably a good starter right there.

• Heart 1

Yay! Back at home…

About that refrigerator filtered water:  yes, throw away the first gallon through the filter every time you replace it. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the first couple batches of ice have black stuff all over them. Throw all the ice away, too. 

• Heart 1

57 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

but I'm going to plug something into every electrical outlet in the house over the next week to make sure everything's properly set up.

No.  Go to your hardware store.  Just plugging something in tells you you have a completes circuit.  Not good enough.

image.png.260cef8c24588a6cb312d154970c387e.png

EDIT - Sorry Donk - I should have read the whole thread.  

The electrician came out today and fixed all the electrical problems.

He fixed the outlet over the microwave.

The two hallway lights didn't light because there were no light bulbs in them.  I had two 13W/75W equiv. on hand and that solved the problem.

My complaint that there wasn't a light switch on the first floor for the upstairs hallway light was wrong:  One of the three switches near the door is for that light - I thought it controlled the outdoor outlet, for which there is no switch.

The flashing exterior porch lights have switches that can be set for them to do that and that was the problem - they were set wrong.

The only remaining complaint I passed on to the contractor is that the two exterior porch lights are not screwed into the wall very stably - the back porch light can be easily rotated sideways and appears to be held on by one screw.

Otherwise, things are fine except I've got some kind of dermatitis on my lower legs that I'm seeing my family doc at 5:30 pm today.

I have kitchen-size trash bags but not trash can.  I'm using a box for now and it's raining like hell so I'll take care of that and the Costco TV return tomorrow, weather permitting.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

19 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

So, it’s about time for a Cafe style housewarming?  

Not until I get all the mistakes fixed and some furniture.  Besides the bed and TV stand and 4 oversized tray tables, the recliner is set to arrive Thurs. July 8 - it's an outdoor sports/lawn chair until then.

On top of everything else, I caught a cellulitis infection and both of my lower legs are mostly red halfway up.  I'll detail that in a separate thread.

I need to return the non-working 65" TV to Costco today or tomorrow, weather permitting, and get a new one.