Keeping score

Airehead

2 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Go to UPS asap and ship them home next day air. Otherwise Paulie will steal them and use to pick up girls.  :)

Last time I put rosettes and ribbons on the island in the kitchen, Paulie ate them!  They were Lindy’s. Still waiting to take Ryan in the ring. He is next. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Randomguy said:

What is the difference?  I really don't know anything about the dog show/agility world is why I ask.

Agility has several different classes and within each different levels.  The big two classes are:

1.  standard—- the one with the dog walk, fetter footer, pause table, etc.  

2.  Jumpers with weaves- faster with lots of different jumps and weave poles. None of the other obstacles. 

Then within that you have novice, open, excellent, and masters levels. 

Those green ribbons earn you legs within your class.  You need to get three of the green ribbons to move up except in masters where you need more but I will explain that another day.   

The fancy rosettes are your placement in your class that day.  So today Lindy got a green masters ribbon and was the best dog in his 20 inch jump height class. 

Paulie is at his second competition. He did not get any qualifying green ribbons. So he still needs three in novice standard and three in novice jumpers with weaves.  When he gets three qualifying JWW green ribbons he will move to JWW Open. Yes 

• Heart 2

Each course that you run is different. The judge has to set a standard course time.  1.  You have  run clean. This means not making errors such as going to the wrong obstacle or knocking a bar off.  novice dogs can make a few mistakes and still qualify. Master level dog cannot make any errors. The most common errors are knocking a bar or being incomplete in the weaves. Missing one is all it takes to not qualify. 

2. You have to be below the standard course time the judge sets. In the novice class you can be over on time and lose points but still qualify. By masters you cannot be over in time at all. As you can guess some breeds of dogs are faster. This is why you see so many border collies and so few Rottweilers at the top levels of agility. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Dang you, Airehead!  This thread sent me off first on a flyball U-tube odyssey, then a Boston Terrier one. :D

Fly all is a dog sport that I have never competed in. Messed around with it a bit. My dogs never wanted to bring the ball back.   Dogs like @AirwickWithCheese’a jack russels are amazing in fkyball. 

• Hugs 1

I have watched some youtube and 4H agility but don't know much about it.  My competition dog experience is in hunt tests.  I have run dogs at the Jr, Sr, Master levels.  Have run one lab at the Master Nationals.  I have worked hunt tests for our local club. Right now my goal is qualifying dogs at SD, SDX and SDO levels.  Sled dog, Sled Dog Excellent and Sled Dog Outstanding.  Ike could possibly go SDO in the next year if we get to enough qualifying races.   Currently Balto and Shila have SD titles and Ike is SDX.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

I have watched some youtube and 4H agility but don't know much about it.  My competition dog experience is in hunt tests.  I have run dogs at the Jr, Sr, Master levels.  Have run one lab at the Master Nationals.  I have worked hunt tests for our local club. Right now my goal is qualifying dogs at SD, SDX and SDO levels.  Sled dog, Sled Dog Excellent and Sled Dog Outstanding.  Ike could possibly go SDO in the next year if we get to enough qualifying races.   Currently Balto and Shila have SD titles and Ike is SDX.

Yes, Ike must get a chance to excel. 

Lindy and Paulie did not do any winning or qualifying today. Lindy was so close but paused on one jump which the judge scored as a refusal.  Those aren’t allowed at his level.

pailie did way better than yesterday.

Ryan was a rock star today. 

• Hugs 2

28 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Is Fast CAT as popular in the east as it is here?  Lots of sled dogs are running Fast CAT.

Yes because dogs can compete against themselves and their own breed. Goes quick. Ike should try it. 

5 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Is Fast CAT as popular in the east as it is here? 

The only time my cat runs fast is if she hears me opening the treat cabinet. :nodhead:

Congrats to Ryan for today, and Lindy for yesterday and to Paulie for being so independent. :cheerleader:!

• Hugs 1