Gave the Bianchi some love (Edit with pics!)

ChrisL

55 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Do cable actuated rim brakes work? Yes but they are not in the same league as hydro discs.  My hands were noticeably fatigued from grabbing the brakes so hard to stop.  One finger braking, yeah no…

Does your Ritchey have power disc brakes?

3 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

You're right...  The bike's garbage.  Send it to me, I'll get rid of it for you.

I’m not ready to unload it yet but if it sits too long I might donate it to a deserving person. Check in with me in a year or so. 

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I wasn’t aware that there were non-Celeste Bianchis. :)

Yeah I have heard that a lot over the years. Most higher end Bianchi’s are Celeste.  Mine is an 09 model and when I ordered it I ordered the Celeste but it was out of stock in my size.  The shop owner recommended the nude carbon with white lettering and I really like it.  You can’t tell from the image but you can see the carbon weave under the clear coat.

• Awesome 1

I gave myself a Celeste Via Nirone  Bianchi for achieving board certification. What flavor of Campy does yours have? Mine is Veloce. I’m not sure how to describe the sensation other than the bike wants to go. When I start pedaling, that forward motion takes on an energy of its own. I’ve put flat pedals on it, though, because I was fumbling around while clipping in and out and I gave a stripped screw in one of my cleats. The hassle was just enough to make me not want to ride it.  My other Bianchi, my Iseo commuter, doesn’t feel like it wants to go fast. It’s also a lot heavier and has a long back end. 

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I have heard that a lot over the years. Most higher end Bianchi’s are Celeste.  Mine is an 09 model and when I ordered it I ordered the Celeste but it was out of stock in my size.  The shop owner recommended the nude carbon with white lettering and I really like it.  You can’t tell from the image but you can see the carbon weave under the clear coat.

My Felt is that way and I like it second best to blue. Or maybe white is a close second. 

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

I gave myself a Celeste Via Nirone  Bianchi for achieving board certification. What flavor of Campy does yours have? Mine is Veloce. I’m not sure how to describe the sensation other than the bike wants to go. When I start pedaling, that forward motion takes on an energy of its own. My other Bianchi, my Iseo commuter, doesn’t feel like that. 

Mine is the 928 C2C which is the predecessor to the Infinito. It is a performance bike but more comfort oriented than race. At  17 lbs with pedals it is really light.

I got it from the same shop I got the Ritchey and what I like about them is you can build the bike anyway you want.  So I ordered the frame & the Campagnolo Record build kit going back to my campy roots.

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Jealous!  My Suntour roots keep showing. :(  :D 

When I was a racer boy in the early 80’s the general consensus with those that influenced me was Campy Nuevo/Super record or nothing.  I realize now Sun Tour & Shimano made great stuff and am less of a snob now.

But since I had the $$ to get a no compromise bike I went with campy.

29 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

My Via Nirone is also C2C, a more recreational ride, but it gets to my neck, too. And the drops are shallow. I hardly ever use them.  But I love my after-market seat.

502F8C5C-7381-4A50-AD65-A7A3D819A4F9.jpeg

About 4 years ago I started mountain biking more and doing cyclocross.  I really stopped riding my Bianchi  about 2 years ago. The shorter reach & more upright position of the MTB & crosser suites me now but I did ride the Bianchi 8 + years pain free.  I’m sure I could adjust to it again but I really have more fun on my current cross bike.

I kept eyeing the dirt paths & thinking, nooo don’t do it! 

On 7/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, ChrisL said:

I dusted off the Bianchi & took it for a whirl today.  It was fun but damn that bike is long & low.  I’m not used to it & had to cut it short at 20miles.  My neck & back were achy.  Some thoughts:

At about 4 lbs lighter than my crosser, the weight was noticeable.  I wasn’t faster but you can just feel that it’s a lighter bike. It almost felt skittish as the front end is so light. 

Hydraulic discs are better brakes period, no debate and none of you retro grouches will ever convince me other wise.  Do cable actuated rim brakes work? Yes but they are not in the same league as hydro discs.  My hands were noticeably fatigued from grabbing the brakes so hard to stop.  One finger braking, yeah no…

Campagnolo shifting = Buttah. Shimano shifting has a nice firm indexed click with each shift. Campy has a buttery smooth action to the lever.  I wouldn’t say it’s better, just smoother. 

It was fun breaking out the Bianchi but the Ritchey will get lots more action for the foreseeable future.

I’ll post a picture since the site lets me now!

56BD582A-FCCC-4AC6-849A-87663E67B7C3.thumb.jpeg.1db9c6e3c9558b45888756643e05d76f.jpeg

White on white anyone??? I did this especially for @Randomguy

0C1267F0-9282-4CDE-8674-DBC57DABDDAB.thumb.jpeg.b33e140a90183fd147c685f79a5ff2b5.jpeg

I like your assessment.  I'd hear the same arguments about disk brakes.  Up here in the PNW, I don't think I'd go without disk brakes or -- as you mention -- hydraulic brakes.  More crap you have to care for, a pain to service, and if you are out in tin-buck-too with a mechanical breakdown, you're a bit screwed.  But how often does that happen, really? I'm with you.  Hydraulics are simply better.  I also agree that the extra weight in steel is no big deal.  I've owned titanium and aluminum.  Never carbon and never will.  To me it'll be steel for a long, long time.

• Heart 1