Are you pretentious?

Airehead

Apparently using the following phrases make you sound pretentious.  I really thought they just made you sound uneducated about the meanings of words.

absolutely essential

actual fact

at this point in time/at the present point in time

depreciate in value

eliminate completely/eliminate entirely

combine together/join together

end result/final outcome

estimated at about

exact same

general consensus of opinion

in close proximity

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is it absolutely essential that those words be used? If you combine together the phrases, the general consensus of opinion may be that I am pretentious.  In actual fact, I only use them in close proximity to other pretentious asswipes. 

For the win

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Apparently using the following phrases make you sound pretentious.  I really thought they just made you sound uneducated about the meanings of words.

absolutely essential

actual fact

at this point in time/at the present point in time

depreciate in value

eliminate completely/eliminate entirely

combine together/join together

end result/final outcome

estimated at about

exact same

general consensus of opinion

in close proximity

I'm sure we're  guilty using some of those phrases when speaking.  We just need to see it in writing, how dumb they are.

24 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Okay, yeah. Here's the deal. You use phrases like that so every dumb shit in the room knows what you are talking about. It's called communication.

Sadly, you may be spot on!  Maybe that's the pretentious part?  Using phrases like those because you assume the unwashed masses need a little "extra" to help them understand what you are talking about???  I mean, not everyone is @MoseySusan!  Some folks need a little extra context around words.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, you may be spot on!  Maybe that's the pretentious part?  Using phrases like those because you assume the unwashed masses need a little "extra" to help them understand what you are talking about???  I mean, not everyone is @MoseySusan!  Some folks need a little extra context around words.

I consider myself to be redundant in a reticent manner. IOW, I play dumb every single day of my pathetic little life.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I consider myself to be redundant in a reticent manner. IOW, I play dumb every single day of my pathetic little life.

I never play dumb. I may be ignorant of some things and it may show. But I don’t feign ignorance.  That can be pretentious as well... 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

On 7/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, Razors Edge said:

In class, we’d call that “searching for what you mean.” Like @shootingstar mentioned, no fault while speaking, but definitely edit them in writing. 

• Heart 1

I guess I'm pretentious. I used to give speeches like this to my athletes:

OK girls, we're up against Chesapeake, the 9th best high school team in the State in girls cross country last year.

Stick with them for the first mile until you hit this hill we're in front of right now on the pre-race course walk.

It is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you smoke them on this hill.  No matter how much your body aches, you must run up it faster than Chesapeake.  When they reach the top, they will be demoralized - but only if they see you in front of them.

• Heart 1