How I spent my summer vacation

groupw

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

It looks nice. What is the trim color?  Lots of work for sure. How often does this need to be done?

Trim will be brown to match the new gutters to go up. Keeping the white inset trim on the windows to tie in with the garage door. We’re going to leave the cedar toned wood unpainted. Just re-seal as needed. 
The last time we painted was probably 17 years ago. It has needed attention for a few years as did much of the house. Just a lot of family stuff meant the house was neglected for about 4 years. Replacing the shingles was the impetus to getting other stuff done. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

14 hours ago, groupw said:

Took the last couple days off to finally get the house painted. I couldn’t rent a sprayer so I bought a semi pro sprayer instead. The first one worked great until the 5 gallon bucket ran out then it would not reprime. I tried everything before I exchanged for another. The 2nd one worked just fine. It has been very humid with highs in the mid 90s. I’m about 90% done with the main color. I will hand paint the 2nd coat on the porch then move on to the trim. It’s now supposed to rain tomorrow so I guess that is now my Sunday project.  A photo of the work in progress. 

EE77C49F-3890-4169-A86E-5C28EAB3BF41.jpeg

Good looking house!  Are you doing anything with the porch rai;ling and posts and if so, what are you using on it?

I've got two vertical posts on the extended porch roof I added over my outside basement steps.  The picture below was during its construction and since then its' all and was told that, because they're new, they can't be painted for at least 6 months.  That would be about January so I figure I'll do it during a warm stretch in March or April.  Unless I want to remove then reattached the gutter downspout, It's going to be white, but I'm sure I'll need an undercoating and repair filler for some small cracks.  The landing outside the back porch will be replaced within a week and it's up to me to re-do the 65 year-old fencing around the stairway.

20210710_094722_clar_900p.thumb.jpg.020791617a6f58293be925298855d2e3.jpg

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Good looking house!  Are you doing anything with the porch rai;ling and posts and if so, what are you using on it?

I've got two vertical posts on the extended porch roof I added over my outside basement steps.  The picture below was during its construction and since then its' all and was told that, because they're new, they can't be painted for at least 6 months.  That would be about January so I figure I'll do it during a warm stretch in March or April.  Unless I want to remove then reattached the gutter downspout, It's going to be white, but I'm sure I'll need an undercoating and repair filler for some small cracks.  The landing outside the back porch will be replaced within a week and it's up to me to re-do the 65 year-old fencing around the stairway.

20210710_094722_clar_900p.thumb.jpg.020791617a6f58293be925298855d2e3.jpg

I’m going to leave it unfinished but use a deck seal on it in the spring. We think it works well with our color palette. 

• Heart 1

My next door neighbor is a deputy sheriff who retired this week. We went to his retirement party this afternoon. He said he was mowing his yard and one time by our house was one color and the next time by the portion he could see was different. He decided I either used a sprayer or I was on meth! I told him I couldn’t answer the question. 

• Haha 2