How great was your prom?

AirwickWithCheese

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Why? 

I didn't want to be in school on a normal day so I wasn't going to go for anything after school. 

I was probably working on a race car or something. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Don't  remember much about the prom itself, the guy I went with wasn't someone I was dating long term.  But after the prom we did the typical NYC prom stuff - a comedy club in the city and a trip on the Staten Island Ferry. :nodhead:

• Heart 4

Yeah I remember.  I took my HS GF, had a good time.  It was at a nice hotel banquet area.  A bunch of us went in on a hotel and had an after prom party.  I was driving so didn’t drink but she got a bit tipsy.  We went to a Denny’s after the party.

We had a good time, no hanky panky as there was a group of us in the hotel.

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Sounds fun.  Except for the movie part.  :D

We argued a lot at the prom. The movie was “The Money Pit”. It wasn’t very good.  Checking into the motel was a little dicey. We were in a place where people knew our families and I checked us in as husband and wife. But it was great once we were in!  😉 

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Zealot said:

We argued a lot at the prom. The movie was “The Money Pit”. It wasn’t very good.  Checking into the motel was a little dicey. We were in a place where people knew our families and I checked us in as husband and wife. But it was great once we were in!  😉 

+1

It sucked. Best parts were: we got high on the GW Parkway overlook. Went to a McDonalds later to pee and my date, on waking out, hit my arm in front of people coming in for dinner and gawking at us in tuxedos and gowns, faux yelling at me for not making reservations. We had fun in spite of the school authorities attempts to make the event suck. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

No pics from any of you?  

I have no pics from the event in question. Powder blue tuxedo with the frilly shirt and a black bow tie, Sandy wore a gown. I gave her a corsage. I drove a 1974 Ford LTD wagon, piss yellow with faux wood panels. We had dinner at a nice French restaurant in Georgetown because we could order cocktails at age 18. There was valet parking and I tipped. We crossed the River and stopped at a scenic overlook over the Potomac River and smoked some redbud from Columbia I bought from my neighbor, Frank. The girls had to pee so we went to a McDonalds in Arlington before heading over to the Knights of Columbus hall where the dance was. It sucked there, so we drove home, ditched the monkey suits and went out again to drink beer and smoke some more. Sandy remains a good friend, we never dated, just hung out together. She lives in Maui with a son and a daughter and is dating an old boyfriend named Mike. 

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

I have no pics from the event in question. Powder blue tuxedo with the frilly shirt and a black bow tie, Sandy wore a gown. I gave her a corsage. I drove a 1974 Ford LTD wagon, piss yellow with faux wood panels. We had dinner at a nice French restaurant in Georgetown because we could order cocktails at age 18. There was valet parking and I tipped. We crossed the River and stopped at a scenic overlook over the Potomac River and smoked some redbud from Columbia I bought from my neighbor, Frank. The girls had to pee so we went to a McDonalds in Arlington before heading over to the Knights of Columbus hall where the dance was. It sucked there, so we drove home, ditched the monkey suits and went out again to drink beer and smoke some more. Sandy remains a good friend, we never dated, just hung out together. She lives in Maui with a son and a daughter and is dating an old boyfriend named Mike. 

I'm sorry but I'm forced to file a police report on you. 

I could be persuaded to drop the issue with pie. 

Looks like none of you to your wife to the prom?

I met my wife the summer after graduation & starting college so post prom but  I dated a girl before I met my wife who was still in HS. She wanted me to take her to her prom in my blues but I declined.  I said I’d go in a tux. Ultimately she didn’t go (IIRC I was away on training anyway) and I wish she would have. I told her I was totally fine with her going with another date.  

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Looks like none of you to your wife to the prom?

I met my wife the summer after graduation & starting college so post prom but  I dated a girl before I met my wife who was still in HS. She wanted me to take her to her prom in my blues but I declined.  I said I’d go in a tux. Ultimately she didn’t go (IIRC I was away on training anyway) and I wish she would have. I told her I was totally fine with her going with another date.  

I did take my future wife to the prom. We got married a month later and are still married today. 

• Heart 2

It blew. Our dance was the first with a DJ instead of a band. District Track was the next day. In a small school a high percentage are on the teams. They were going home early and most went stag. I had broke up with my ex girlfriend in that window where she didn’t have a dress, but it was too late to get another date. Oh well…

• Sad 1

Nothing super remarkable, in fact we really only stayed for the dinner then dashed out as the crappy DJ was playing cliché songs. My date and I ended up heading to an underground rave at an abandoned warehouse. Got a good roll on and watched amazing artists spin like; Kid Koala, Mixmaster Mike, and Dan Bell. Now that was the party worth going to. After the rave ended, close to the sun coming up we went out on my boat with some other friends and lazed on the sand and water the rest of the day.

Come to think of it, it was a pretty good night. Course seems I didn't really go to my prom in the traditional sense and just used it as a jumping off point.

It was awesome.  After our grad ceremonies everyone went to The Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver where we had a passable meal and a few drinks.  The entertainment was Doug and the Slugs who were a recently formed band that did pretty well on the Canadian entertainment scene.  After the party, hundreds of us went to Second Beach in Stanley Park and continued the party.  There were several Tuxedo jackets and a few dresses, that had to be rescued from the park, Lost and Found department.  Most stayed until sunrise.  

Then real life began..

:) 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

My mom talked me into going.

I was in love with my best friend's sister, they lived across the street.

I didn't have a girlfriend at the time and asked her, she surprised me and said yes.

I assumed it was a pity date, I danced with her a couple of times but that was it.

In hindsight, I think it was a real date and I was too stupid to know.

Her dad was a police Sargent, and he HATED me.  It never would have worked.

I was never asked. My parents were pretty strict. There was a guy...but I think he sensed problems with my parents so he avoided the date question. Life for Asian-Canadian woman in the mid-1970's wasn't that simple in a town / high school that was predominantly white.  It shouldn't be, but it really was. Asian gals weren't seen as popular dating possibility at my high school at that time. 

Here now, the high school seniors love showing off their prom wear.  And even during this covid year, they were determined to celebrate in their finery. They come in the rented limo.... It does make it difficult to cycle at times in late spring ....every single year.  However I am happy for the kids that they have this terrific background for their memories.

gradpartypeace-bridge.jpg

On 7/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, shootingstar said:

I was never asked. My parents were pretty strict. There was a guy...but I think he sensed problems with my parents so he avoided the date question. Life for Asian-Canadian woman in the mid-1970's wasn't that simple in a town / high school that was predominantly white.  It shouldn't be, but it really was. Asian gals weren't seen as popular dating possibility at my high school at that time. 

Here now, the high school seniors love showing off their prom wear.  And even during this covid year, they were determined to celebrate in their finery. They come in the rented limo.... It does make it difficult to cycle at times in late spring ....every single year.  However I am happy for the kids that they have this terrific background for their memories.

gradpartypeace-bridge.jpg

Interesting perspective. My sisters grew up in a similar environment and never had issues with male attention in HS.  It drove my dad nuts but the white boys dug my dark sisters.  Some of my sisters also have more Asian eyes.  

This brown boy also didn’t have trouble with the white girls. 

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting perspective. My sisters grew up in a similar environment and never had issues with male attention in HS.  It drove my dad nuts but the white boys dug my dark sisters.  Some of my sisters also have more Asian eyes.  

This brown boy also didn’t have trouble with the white girls. 

Except for 1 couple in HS, I didn't know of any other dating going on between Asian gals and any guys at my HS.  I mean really, we're talking about 15 Asian gals in a high school of 2,000 students.