PSA Cpap users take note

Rattlecan

Well, I just got off the phone with the vendor. When I called in, the phone was answered by a recording saying " if you are calling about the recent Philips Respronics recall, press 1" From there, a bunch of blather and then press one again to leave a callback number.

They called me back with in a half hour to tell me that for now, they are registering all machines affected, which mine is, and we sit back and wait for the regulators to decide if they can repair, or must replace. 

No timeline on when to expect any news, but when the gubmint is involved, it could stretch out for a while.

Meanwhile, Philips advises to stop thereapy.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Well, I just got off the phone with the vendor. When I called in, the phone was answered by a recording saying " if you are calling about the recent Philips Respronics recall, press 1" From there, a bunch of blather and then press one again to leave a callback number.

They called me back with in a half hour to tell me that for now, they are registering all machines affected, which mine is, and we sit back and wait for the regulators to decide if they can repair, or must replace. 

No timeline on when to expect any news, but when the gubmint is involved, it could stretch out for a while.

Meanwhile, Philips advises to stop thereapy.

Owl enter mine now.  Stopping would not be pretty.  I will be choking all night,

10 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Owl enter mine now.  Stopping would not be pretty.  I will be choking all night,

I'm still pretty miffed that I was not contacted to inform me about this. I mean, they have every customer registered and on file, and it took them about 5 seconds to look me up and confirm that my machine is affected. Seems to me like this company needs to be more proactive. It was only by random chance that my wife saw a posting about this on line.

Meanwhile, some good discussions going on about this.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

55 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

I'm still pretty miffed that I was not contacted to inform me about this. I mean, they have every customer registered and on file, and it took them about 5 seconds to look me up and confirm that my machine is affected. Seems to me like this company needs to be more proactive. It was only by random chance that my wife saw a posting about this on line.

Meanwhile, some good discussions going on about this.

I think I am close to the 5 year replacement mark though.  But I am not sure if it is 5 or 10 that my insurance pays for.  Anyhoo, there is probably going to be a backlog for years now.

Really!  Can you believe I had to hear aboot it on some podunk "bicycling" forum!  Sheesh!  I am more pissed that they are basically practicing medicine without a license by suggesting you stop using it, which on the surface has the side bennie of helping their liability, but if people then have accidents that can be blamed on sleep deprivation I am not so sure.  I am not too thrilled with my pulmonologist either.  They deal with these machines everyday!  Mine is affected

I always held Philips in high regard before this. :(

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I switched from my my elderly Philips machine to a ResMed unit late last year.

Seems to me that using foam in a high humidity, warm environment is a recipe for tragedy.

I have not seen the foam, I guess it is buried inside.  I have always marveled at the quietness of the machine.  Damn engineering tradeoffs!  Quiet/carcinogous?  Such a dilemma!

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

If you have a System One as I do, removing the foam is quite simple. I just did it following this tutorial. It's a bit louder, but one the hose and mask are attached, I don't think it will be too bad.

The tools you will need are torx bits # T9,T10 and T15. He calls them T3 and T5. They must number them differently in Oz.

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

If you have a System One as I do, removing the foam is quite simple. I just did it following this tutorial. It's a bit louder, but one the hose and mask are attached, I don't think it will be too bad.

The tools you will need are torx bits # T9,T10 and T15. He calls them T3 and T5. They must number them differently in Oz.

I have a Dreamstation so I am sort of scrooed.