Twelve Year Olds In The Olympics?!?!?!? WTF???

Razors Edge

Jessica Springsteen, daughter of rocker Bruce Springsteen and singer-songwriter Patti Scialfa, is headed to the Tokyo Olympics to compete on the U.S. equestrian jumping team.

Earlier this week, US Equestrian announced that Springsteen was one of four athletes to make the Olympic team, which also includes McLain Ward, Laura Kraut and Kent Farrington.

This is Springsteen's Olympic debut, though the 29-year-old was an alternate for the team at the 2012 Olympics in London, according to ESPN.

Springsteen, who is ranked 27th in the world, will be riding Don Juan van de Donkhoeve, her 12-year-old Belgian Warmblood stallion.

"Been dreaming of this since I can remember!" Springsteen wrote in a celebratory Instagram post. "Endless gratitude for my team, friends and family for helping me make this a reality. We are Tokyo bound!!"

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Riding a 12 year old is considered a sport?  I did not know that.  I suppose next you're going to tell me to wear a helmet in case I get thrown off.

I worry about the hitting the 12 year old repeatedly to get them to behave and do what I want!

• Haha 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

She?  Don Juan van de Donkhoeve sounds like a male name to me, but who knows these days?!?!?

Oh wait… Springsteen is 12 or the horse is 12??? If it’s the horse then damn isn’t that old for a competitive  horse???

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Oh wait… Springsteen is 12 or the horse is 12??? If it’s the horse then damn isn’t that old for a competitive  horse???

DOES NO ONE READ MY POSTS?????  Besides Kirby & smudge (who are kind, generous, AND thoughtful)????

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Riding a 12 year old is considered a sport?  I did not know that.  I suppose next you're going to tell me to wear a helmet in case I get thrown off.

I guess anything goes for lame-ass faux sports like dressage and pretty much anything equestrian ."Oh, the horse does all the work, but I get the medal".  Geez.

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Y'all are agists!  It isn't what science says, it is how old you identify as.  Like date of birth has anything to do with it. 

Be whatever you want to be.  I am, for example, a 16 year old with bad eyes, slow reflexes and aching joints who has to make sure he gets enough fiber in his diet.

I thought this was going to be about women's gymnastics.

Like high school softball field dimensions, the events were developed when women were not involved in regular sports activity and strength, etc. was not considered lady-like.

Consequently for softball, a high school windmill pitcher can whip the ball over 60 mph and the batter today has less time to see it after it leaves the pitcher's hand than a major league batter facing a 90+ mph fastball pitcher.  Top teams usually end up with scores like 1-0 or 2-1 and bunting to advance a runner is a big deal.  When the girls I coached moved on to college teams with larger fields, those games were a lot more fun to watch!

Similarly, the dimensions and lack of serious strength requirements in women's gymnastics are best suited for little girls and 100 lbs of weight almost disqualifies them alone.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Women are men, men are are women, young are old.  I am sure the Belgian is just there to make waffles. Welcome to the new olympics. 

Is this a fear or an outrage?

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I hope they don't use the canned crowd noise that European soccer resorted to.

Fresh noise is far superior.  Next is frozen. Canned is fine, but hardly preferable.

On 7/13/2021 at 5:24 AM, maddmaxx said:

I hope they don't use the canned crowd noise that European soccer resorted to.

I think I read that NBC won't add any crowd noise for broadcast, but they're not sure what the arenas will do.

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I think I read that NBC won't add any crowd noise for broadcast, but they're not sure what the arenas will do.

For track events, they should play NASCAR or F1 or similar sound effects.  Or horse racing galloping sounds!

• Haha 1