Have you ever hit anyone?

Square Wheels

No, and at this point I hope to make it the rest of the way without doing so.

this is why your generation is so soft

it does a young fella good to get his ass kicked and it really helps your self confidence to beat the crap out of some asshole whole really needed a butt kicking

Yes.  Been in a few fights, but not since college days.  

The two that come to mind was me standing up to a bully for a kid that could not defend himself back in high school ( thought he was a martial arts bad ass and I kicked his ass)

Other was when I had a loft in Deep Ellum and was having a party on Halloween no less.  Some guy came in and was throwing cake around my kitchen.  Just wandered in off the street.

Told him he had to leave, he pushed me, I pushed back, he hit me in the mouth and broke a tooth, I kicked his ass out the door and then all hell broke loose when his buddies tried to join in.  They all ended up bloody and bruised and in the control of the cops, who we knew well.  I let them use my place if they needed a bathroom break or a cold drink, whatever.  So they were pretty much on our side.

Funniest part was seeing all my friends in Halloween costumes kicking ass.  One guy was wearing his scout uniform and another was dressed as a Gumby from Monty Python.  I cannot remember what I went as that year.  I think I was a Viking.

I really hope you're full of crap saying this.

no, I seriously believe that we wouldn't have the problems with gun violence in schools that we have today if we let boys be  boys

that means allowing fist fights and also not discouraging fist fights, especially in grade school

An Eye for an Eye Will Make the Whole World Blind

~ Gandhi

who said anything about eye gouging?

listen, all animals have a form of "fighting" that allows them to sort out dominance. Animals can't get seriously hurt or they will either be caught and eaten or won't be able to catch anything and starve to death

so the species has a form of non lethal combat

for humans, that form of combat is a fair fist fight

I'd like to think I am a more evolved "animal" than the ones you speak of.  Gone are the days where I have to hunt for my food.  Now I go to a grocery store.

I thinking fighting has gone the way of the dinosaurs, and those that still think an acceptable way of resolving a dispute is with violence are dinosaurs themselves.

• Heart 2

"my brain hurts!"  :D

Yep, dude's name was Randy and he was wearing the house coat hospital gown thing and the handkerchief knotted at the corners on his head.  I remember seeing him with a guy down on the ground. Randy was sitting on the guy's chest, with his gown thing hiked up, so you could see his boxers, and he was wailing on the dude.

The guy that hit me, when I shoved him out the door, he landed on the front fender of a BMW owned by a friend of mine named Lance.  Lance was in his car at the time.  So Lance jumps out and takes the guy OUT.  BTW, Lance was a trained fighter and worked as a body guard for the Bass family in Fort Worth.  How delicious is that?

• Heart 1

I'd like to think I am a more evolved "animal" than the ones you speak of.  Gone are the days where I have to hunt for my food.  Now I go to a grocery store.

I thinking fighting has gone the way of the dinosaurs, and those that still think an acceptable way of resolving a dispute is with violence are dinosaurs themselves.

if you actually said that crap to me in person I'd duct tape you to a tree :D

• Heart 1

no, I seriously believe that we wouldn't have the problems with gun violence in schools that we have today if we let boys be  boys

that means allowing fist fights and also not discouraging fist fights, especially in grade school

There's actually some reality to that....when young boys experience the pain associated with a fight, they can develop some idea of what violence is and does.  As it is now, they grow up sheltered and clueless.  They have no real idea what kind of damage can be done by kicking someone in the head, or pulling that trigger.  

There's actually some reality to that....when young boys experience the pain associated with a fight, they can develop some idea of what violence is and does.  As it is now, they grow up sheltered and clueless.  They have no real idea what kind of damage can be done by kicking someone in the head, or pulling that trigger.  

Yep, a good ass kicking can go a long way in changing a bullys attitude.  Same thing with guns.  Kids should see the result of shooting something with a gun first hand.  Make it real for them.  Not just something they grab in their video game to make zombies go splat.

3 or 4 times...

Very first was a girl actually. She kicked me while wearing cowboy boots, so I decked her. We were both 7 or 8...didn't know any better. I just knew it hurt.

2nd time was some kid who for some reason, threw a piece of asphalt at me, hitting me in the ear. I don't remember the fight very well, but I do remember friends telling me that I nearly killed him. I was maybe 10. I only recall running across the street to give him a knuckle sandwich, and that my shirt got torn.

3rd/4th times was a few fights in HS......

Guy in class had been picking on me for some reason, hitting my arm and trying to piss me off. I ran out into the hallway after class behind him and kidney punched him, which dropped him pretty good. I didn't get in any trouble because nobody really saw it, and he just shrugged it off and left me alone after.

I guess the 4th was the guy I threw down the stairs. I was 'part of' a larger fight/brawl that only involved me because somebody in that group thought I was another kid. This was the first of a series of somewhat gangrelated fights that started at the school in my last year there. Place got rough I hear after that. There was a stairway nearby and I thought it would be convenient to locate the guy down a flight or two. He busted a few teeth on a step. Since I was confused with another kid, I walked away, was quickly recognized as being who I really was, and they went looking for the wrong person...so I never admitted to it. That guy ended up a pro baseball player, whose name I might release for some $$$. :)

I have 2 older brothers, so of course I hit them.

Then they duct taped you to a tree?  Mine did some mean crap to me.  It was nice to have that growth spurt freshman year.  When I was 6 foot and 200 plus pounds and working out 5 times a week for football, he started to leave me alone.  Our mom did not raise any dummies, except for me.

yes, and I think it also gives them something real to channel their emotion into rather than just internalizing all that and living it out in a fantasy world

this is what happens when you have  women trying to raise young men. They don't understand that aggression is part of being a male human

I would not say "Hit"

When responding to a motor vehicle accident, I was trying to take care of a drunk who was ejected from the vehicle. His "buddy" that was with him was just as drunk as he was. Well after I was fed up with him telling me how to do my job, I let him know I was not playing around and to sit on the grass and wait for the cops to get there so we can care for his friend. 

Well next thing I knew I was smacked in the head with a beer bottle from this creeper. I was luckily enough to be wearing my helmet at the time along with my turnout gear. I quickly walked over to where he was, told him nicely to nock the shit off and then told him to come look at the car. as he was inspecting the car, he slipped down the ditch line breaking his nose.. I swear I did not punch him... and the cop did not see me either even though he was standing right there :)

• Heart 1

Of course, what kind of pansy hasn't hit someone else in life?

When I was in second grade, my brother was in 4th grade.  They made fun of of some 4th grader continually, I walked by one day and my brother said "Even my dumb 2nd grade brother can beat you up", followed by laughter and such.  I didn't want to fight a 4th grader (I was little and skinny), but then they goaded us to fight and I won.  I was the hero of the 4th and 2nd grade for a little while.  

8th grade fight with another kid nobody liked who was a dick to everyone, he tried to bully me one day on the school bus, as he was bigger than me.  I got off at his bus stop with him and traded punches all the way to his house in a weird tussle/walk situation.  No winners, although I may have had a slight upper hand on a judge's card.  He didn't try to bully me again, he went to easier targets.

A couple fights in high school for no good reason, hanging out with some fight-magnet kids.  Won both, the first easily, then the second was tough one but I was on the wrestling team, so I took him down and punched him a bunch till the fight seemed to leave him.

College bar fight, a guy didn't like that I was hitting on his gf, so he pushed me, I pushed back, he swung at me, so I hit him a couple of times really quickly before friends on both sides intervened.  

First real serious gf got pissed off at me for some nonsensical reason, and smacked me as hard as she could in the head.  I got pissed, grabbed my shoes and started putting them on while telling her that she was going home.  As I sat on the bed  putting shoes on, she raised her arm to hit me again.  I leapt up, deflected the now punching hand and pushed her against a wall and bitch slapped her, yelling at her that it was not ok to hit me and if it happened again I would dump her.  She actually told me later that she would not have respected me had I not done that.

Another serious gf was pissed about another non-sensical thing, started trying to hit me.  I backed away, she followed and kept at it.  I continued to back away behind a table, pushed a chair between us.  She kicked the chair away and picked up a metal clothes-drying rack and was swinging at me repeatedly, and I was cornered and getting more pissed.  Deflected the rack and bitch slapped her, telling her I wouldn't talk to her ever again if she even looked cross at me.  I did break up with her, and told her I would be happy to testify for the prosecution when somebody calls the cops on her for domestic violence in the future, which I knew was sure to happen.

I am not naturally violent, and I don't start fights.  I try to steer clear of people that do, but will defend myself when attacked, as nature demands.

I've gotten hit more than I've hit.  I still remember the grit from my cracked teeth.  Broke my hand when I did hit one kid, so that didn't help for the rest of the fight. 

Now-a-days I take pains to avoid any kind of conflict.  My martial arts instructor once told me that if any fight you're in lasts more than ten seconds, run.  So, as was said previously in this thread, hit them fast and hard.  Only now I won't use my hands if it ever gets to that point.  I learn well.  :whistle:

I've gotten hit more than I've hit. I still remember the grit from my cracked teeth. Broke my hand when I did hit one kid, so that didn't help for the rest of the fight.

Now-a-days I take pains to avoid any kind of conflict. My martial arts instructor once told me that if any fight you're in lasts more than ten seconds, run. So, as was said previously in this thread, hit them fast and hard. Only now I won't use my hands if it ever gets to that point. I learn well. :whistle:

From experience I've learned it's not just the guy who throws the hardest punch who wins the fight, but the guy who can take a punch the best. I've had a couple fights where the guy gave me his best shot and backed down when I was just standing there staring at them. Never has to throw a punch because I took their best shot and didn't phase me.

Once, in high school.  The kid in question was warned by others that if he made the move he planned on making, I'd hit him.  He made the move anyway to push my buttons.

Most other times, I've been the one who walked away or who  stopped a fight from occurring between two people.  I'm not a fighter, and back in high school wasn't very big.  Now I'm big enough to be a bluff that isn't called.

I've been in a few fights but not in over 30 years now.

Funniest one was just before I was going to take some leave while in the military. I about drained my savings account and had all the cash in my wallet. I was a little nervous to say the least.

As I enter the barracks, someone jumps at me from a stairwell. I threw an adrenaline-fueled punch and knocked him out cold. It was my good friend Tom who was just joking around with me. Fortunately he came around after about a minute and I didn't break anything with the punch. It did loosen a couple of teeth and he had one hell of a bruise for a while.

I don't believe that going to a grocery store for food makes us evolved.... I think we are kinda backwards in that respect.