F'ing Sram

dinneR

SRAM owns Zipp.  I have had zero issues with my Zipp wheels except a rear spoke breaking several years ago.  Not sure when they bought Zipp, though.

Likewise, I have had many cassettes from SRAM over the years for my older bikes.  They were fine.

But their gruppos?  And brakes?  Nope.  Not going there.

What about RockShock? or Truvativ? Quarq and Time?

image.png.2c231eabab87bfacc80c53827c6afd09.png

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

SRAM owns Zipp.  I have had zero issues with my Zipp wheels except a rear spoke breaking several years ago.  Not sure when they bought Zipp, though.

Likewise, I have had many cassettes from SRAM over the years for my older bikes.  They were fine.

But their gruppos?  And brakes?  Nope.  Not going there.

What about RockShock? or Truvativ? Quarq and Time?

image.png.2c231eabab87bfacc80c53827c6afd09.png

I think this is more on the road side but their MTB groups have been pretty solid.  The Eagle MTB stuff at the GX and below is great value to performance.  The high end stuff is lust worthy.

I have heard many complaints on the SRAM road stuff but I have never ridden it.  RockShox  still makes top flight products.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I think this is more on the road side but their MTB groups have been pretty solid.  The Eagle MTB stuff at the GX and below is great value to performance.  The high end stuff is lust worthy.

I have heard many complaints on the SRAM road stuff but I have never ridden it.  RockShox  still makes top flight products.

I've blown through shifters and derailleurs. My GF had defective brakes on her bike. I'd say my Sram brakes are okay, but not as good as Shimano. I also prefer Shimano shifters as they are a better design. 

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, denniS said:

I've blown through shifters and derailleurs. My GF had defective brakes on her bike. I'd say my Sram brakes are okay, but not as good as Shimano. I also prefer Shimano shifters as they are a better design. 

I agree that SRAM MTB groups like X.0 and X.9 were very solid.  The high end grip shifters and rear derailleurs were magic.

5 hours ago, denniS said:

I think Shimano hydraulic discs are the gold standard for performance at all levels and I agree that all of their stuff both MTB & road is top tier in their respective price point.

But I wouldn’t pass a bike up because it had XO or XX on it.  

On 7/19/2021 at 10:52 AM, Razors Edge said:

How are those replacement brakes working out for you?

It was a defect from manufacturer, it was replaced. Working fine.

I also own Shimano on my older bike, the wife has Shimano on her two bikes.

I forgot, they never have wear issues or break down.  What was I thinking.