Gift taking- long, sorry

Airehead

My dad wants to give me a very expensive shotgun. Super generous.  It is however way more gun than I need. Also my skill level is below it.  And to be honest, I have no plans to compete seriously now or in the future. I shoot some trap for family fun and just enough in-between to not suck.  Like 30 to 45 minutes a week. 

I asked him why he wasn’t selling it if he isn’t shooting it.  He won lots with it and it is sentimental and he wants it to remain in the family. 

I told him I was happy with my current Browning Citori and his gift was overly generous.  I think I hurt his feelings. 

What would you do in my  shoes?

• Hugs 1

10 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Your situation is different than most. Your Dad already knew this before the offer. Accept this gift and cherish it forever as he intended. 

Then think of something equally awesome to give your Dad to continually remind him of you.   :nodhead:

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Thank him for the shotgun, let him know it will be safe and cherished as part of family legacy, then aspire to shoot it. 

This, but don't shoot it at him.

He knows you will take good care of it, plus it will remind you of him whenever you use it.  I would tell him you rethought it, and you'd love to have it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

If you already expressed reluctance, just tell him you were hesitant because you weren't sure you could live up to it, but that you were thinking some more and really want the gun to be with someone who would value it as much as he did and for whom it would have special memories - and that person is you!

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I would suggest that you'd honor your Dad by accepting, but also ask him to tell you some of his favorite memories related to his gift.  When you get back home, write them down and keep them with the shotgun.

At some time in the future, you can honor your Dad once again when you in turn pass the shotgun and his memories on to someone who will cherish both as much as he did.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

Thank him for the shotgun, let him know it will be safe and cherished as part of family legacy, then aspire to shoot it. 

This ^^^

The situation was different but my brother gave me most of his fly rods before he passed.  I know they are better rods than I am a fly fisherman but it gave him peace that they were in the family and would be used.  

I accepted his gracious gifts and use them but mostly use my more economical rods. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

He won lots with it and it is sentimental and he wants it to remain in the family.

Take the gift, determine the path for it to remain in the family after you, thank him for it, and assure him it (and its history) will pass to future Aire generations.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Ok, I will call him tonight.  It is really a beautiful gun but he doesn't shoot it since he got a custom made Silver Seitz.  I would probably let @Parr8hed shoot my new gift.

I'm sure that I could not do it justice. 

Take the gift.  Let your dad be a dad.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1