Getting a garage door today.

Dirtyhip

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

...and the face just showed up for the dishwasher.  Elite Appliance is better than all the plces we dealt with locally for buying stuff.  They are 5 star for sure.  

yep, say what you want about us, but Texans are ususally pretty stand up people.  Jerry Jones is not a Texan and never will be.

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

SO super duper thrilled.  We ordered this thing 7 months ago. it was quoted as being a 6 week delivery. 

:D

Super! 

I had to get up at 3:30 am, with virtually no sleep because I was excited about taking my nephew Ryan to the airport so he could begin his adventure in airline steward training for Mesa airlines.  He's now in Phoenix and the airlines has him in a hotel where he'll train for 3 weeks.

Then I couldn't sleep because the final county inspection of the house was going on but I had no idea of what time.

So I spent the day edging the lawn where the fence used to be, figuring it's easier to do now before the new chain-link fence is in place and praying the doxycycline I'm taking for cellulitis (It's gone but Doc said "Let's apply the 'coup de grace' to it.") doesn't cause me to get sunburn.  I don't know when the fence is coming, but I got about 130 of the 160 feet where there's a sidewalk done today with a half-moon-shovel edger: the long, manual, slow way.  Not bad for no sleep!  I've been ok while moving around, but catatonic when I sit down: too tired but too much adrenaline in my system to sleep.

If the fence comes before I finish edging, at least not much will have to be done working around the fence.  There are old roots, etc. that need to come out, including a forsythia bush that won't die but isn't located where I want one.  A chain saw or lopper or drill can take care of them without disturbing the fence.

I've been slowly acquiring a bunch of of tools to dig, saw, etc.  I'm going over to Lowe's in a few minutes to get a small cart to replace the one I used to haul dirt, branches, etc. around with before the fire that disappeared from the yard.

My yard is now an empty canvas to fill with plants, etc.  I'll plant some semi-dwarf trees and some bushes in the fall or spring and hopefully I'll have my shed and picnic table and the trellis for the overhanging grape vine up by the end of summer.

• Heart 2

Great!

That is one DIY project I won't do! That spring can kill you. Leave it to the pros who do it day in and day out. While the door itself is now about 20 years old, had three springs replaced over it's life. If watching them torque the spring, stand way back...and they will probably tell you to anyway.  Get a good silicone spray (not water based WD-40) and lubricate the rollers periodically for a long life.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

No, but we got a super duper insulated door. I do not want to heat/cool a garage all the time.

I keep the garage headed all winter because it's cheaper. I'm out there every day and the milling machine, lathe and tools sweat and rust. 

I only run the air when it gets above 90° and I'm going to be in there for a while. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I keep the garage headed all winter because it's cheaper. I'm out there every day and the milling machine, lathe and tools sweat and rust. 

I only run the air when it gets above 90° and I'm going to be in there for a while. 

That makes sense.  We don't have that issue.  Maybe lack of humidity here?

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Super! 

I had to get up at 3:30 am, with virtually no sleep because I was excited about taking my nephew Ryan to the airport so he could begin his adventure in airline steward training for Mesa airlines.  He's now in Phoenix and the airlines has him in a hotel where he'll train for 3 weeks.

Then I couldn't sleep because the final county inspection of the house was going on but I had no idea of what time.

So I spent the day edging the lawn where the fence used to be, figuring it's easier to do now before the new chain-link fence is in place and praying the doxycycline I'm taking for cellulitis (It's gone but Doc said "Let's apply the 'coup de grace' to it.") doesn't cause me to get sunburn.  I don't know when the fence is coming, but I got about 130 of the 160 feet where there's a sidewalk done today with a half-moon-shovel edger: the long, manual, slow way.  Not bad for no sleep!  I've been ok while moving around, but catatonic when I sit down: too tired but too much adrenaline in my system to sleep.

If the fence comes before I finish edging, at least not much will have to be done working around the fence.  There are old roots, etc. that need to come out, including a forsythia bush that won't die but isn't located where I want one.  A chain saw or lopper or drill can take care of them without disturbing the fence.

I've been slowly acquiring a bunch of of tools to dig, saw, etc.  I'm going over to Lowe's in a few minutes to get a small cart to replace the one I used to haul dirt, branches, etc. around with before the fire that disappeared from the yard.

My yard is now an empty canvas to fill with plants, etc.  I'll plant some semi-dwarf trees and some bushes in the fall or spring and hopefully I'll have my shed and picnic table and the trellis for the overhanging grape vine up by the end of summer.

You are a smart man and should know that long pants, long sleeves and a broad brim hat along with sun screen will protect you from the sun. I went through similar treatment earlier and did fine with precautions.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

You need a tractor....

• Heart 1