Kale dos and don'ts

Ralphie

14 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Do make kale chips - quick, easy, delicious, you can season to taste, ethereal texture.

Don't try to saute in olive earl.  Chewy AF!

Do saute in water, which I 'spose is actually braising.  Anyhoo, it gets softer that way - much mo better texture.

I feed the center stems to the goats.  They are like chewing a branch.  

I saute it, but you have to cook it enough. 

You guys crack me up with both the kale is super food & kale is crap posts.  Northern Europeans have been eating the stuff for ages.  I grew up with it & love it. 

I sauté it with onion before adding rough mash potato & meat for Dutch Stamppot and I find a pinch of sugar keeps the bitterness down. 

https://www.panningtheglobe.com/dutch-stamppot/

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You guys crack me up with both the kale is super food & kale is crap posts.  Northern Europeans have been eating the stuff for ages.  I grew up with it & love it. 

I sauté it with onion before adding rough mash potato & meat for Dutch Stamppot and I find a pinch of sugar keeps the bitterness down. 

https://www.panningtheglobe.com/dutch-stamppot/

My mother thinks it is strange too, since she grew up eating it just boiled forever to submission. :D  I think I will steam the crap oot of it tonight. 

And the chips were super easy.  Just spray lightly with olive earl and salt lightly and toast or bake in the toaster over for a few minutes.  I have some Frank’s hot powder that I can try on them too. 

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Northern Europeans have been eating the stuff for ages.

So what?  Dem boys dawn south been eat'n chitlins fer ages that stuff still tastes like crap.  Chitlins and kale mush...  No thank you.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Holy crap I got a tough batch of kale!  I steamed it for over half an hour, still tough,  Then I boiled it for 20 minutes, then microwaved it for 4 minutes.  Anyone got any plutonium?  Damn!

This is why you have teeth

6 hours ago, Further said:

Ya got to balance the healthy and the fun. 

I can suffer through a pile of kale

I love ribs

Is living an extra 5 years worth it if all I get to eat is kale ?

The best part is it will seem like 10. :D

I also like the stems, provided you can cook the snot oot of them to render them al dente.

7 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I eat it raw in my salads.  Had some tonight.

My mom who is something of a lifelong kale expert said the grocery stores usually sells the tough frilly kind because it looks so gorgeous in all its dark green frilliness.  I don;t think you would want much more than 10% of it in a salad, and even that would be pushing it IMNSHO.