What has covid taught you?

Randomguy

It has taught me that too many people, way more than I expected, are know-it-alls to the point they will put themselves and their country in harm's way instead of considering they may not have all the facts or have been misled.

It has also taught me I should have listened to my late-80's next-door neighbor who told me to do all the traveling I had planned as soon as possible because there will come a time when age makes it difficult to do.  Well, I've lost a couple years at least.  I hope everything's close to normal some time in 2022.

• Heart 3

New variants further complicate the matter, since most studies of coronavirus immunity haven't considered strains like B.1.351. A recent study found that B.1.351 infections were just as common among people who'd recovered from COVID-19 as those who had not.

In the worst-case scenario, the immune systems of people who've had COVID-19 wouldn't recognize new variants at all. A study published in The Lancet in October, for instance, identified a 25-year-old man who was reinfected with a new variant in June that produced more severe symptoms than his first illness in April.

Jennie Lavine, a postdoctoral researcher at Emory University, said she still thinks that leading coronavirus vaccines will offer some protection.

When it comes to other viruses like varicella-zoster (the virus responsible for chickenpox), Smith added, vaccines are sometimes even better than natural immunity. People who get the chickenpox vaccine as children are 20 times less likely to get shingles as adults, she said.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

A recent study found that B.1.351 infections were just as common among people who'd recovered from COVID-19 as those who had not.

I think this is a pretty important bit of knowledge, and a message the deniers or the antivaxxers are certain to tune out, preferring the head in the sand approach that got us this far.

5 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I leaned nothing from Covid-19, I knew that people are stupid a long time ago. The lesson from Covid though is to be like Covid; adapt and change. Or die. 

I didn't realize just how many are that stupid. My estimate was waaaaaaay off.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I didn't realize just how many are that stupid. My estimate was waaaaaaay off.

Can confirm.  I always knew that the very stupid numbered in the millions, but had no idea how many millions can just tune sense out and automatically go with what causes the most damage because it is easier than thinking logically.   It is a lot to process that much stupid.  I hope some are starting to get an education, but human nature predicts more of a doubling down on the stupid that doesn't work instead.

17 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I should have listened to my late-80's next-door neighbor who told me to do all the traveling I had planned as soon as possible

My wife and I, back when we couldn't really scrounge two nickels together somehow afforded a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas. Course we left from our home port and got one of those last-minute bookings so it wasn't all that expensive. There we met an older couple that we connected well with and went on several walking tours around the city. They didn't pay for the excursions and we couldn't. They showed us more by using our feet, research, and passion than any tour organizer could with a bus full of people. They told us something similar. 

That was 10 years ago. We took it to heart. We've now been fortunate to visit the entirety of the Caribbean (29 by my travelog) and visited 19 countries in Europe since that first trip. Money and time well worth.

On to what COVID has taught me:

That the quote from Tommy Lee Jones is more accurate than I expected: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it." 

Also WFH is amazing.

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

My wife and I, back when we couldn't really scrounge two nickels together somehow afforded a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas. Course we left from our home port and got one of those last-minute bookings so it wasn't all that expensive. There we met an older couple that we connected well with and went on several walking tours around the city. They didn't pay for the excursions and we couldn't. They showed us more by using our feet, research, and passion than any tour organizer could with a bus full of people. They told us something similar. 

That was 10 years ago. We took it to heart. We've now been fortunate to visit the entirety of the Caribbean (29 by my travelog) and visited 19 countries in Europe since that first trip. Money and time well worth.

HECK YEAH! 

I will never understand the wait until retirement approach to living.  And, when I hear people tell me how "expensive" travel is, I scratch my head :scratchhead: and wonder where they got that information.  Travel is as expensive as you make it, and it seems folks aren't too creative in managing costs?  We've camped for pretty darn cheap across much of the US, and we have plans to do that in other countries too.  It has been great fun.  And cruising is like any travel - pay attention to the itinerary you like and you'll see what the "sweet" spot is for pricing - both the time to buy, the line you like, and the season to go.  Lazy folks should pay more as that's the "cost" for be lazy.  And, properly researched, a walking tour on your own is a fantastic way to see a place.  Again, if someone wants to skip the work of planning/research, then expect to pay more.

Of course, money is relative, and I definitely think there is a time and a place to just say, "Book me this, ASAP, and let it cost what it costs."  But why do that all the time?