Square Wheels Cycling

Goo Gone <rant>

These product design people are idiots.  Why design a bottle of hightly caustic paint and goo remover in a bottle that tips over when the wind touches it.  This is so stupid.  These bottles that some of the manufaturers use seem like they were designed to tip.

Grrr

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

User error?

It is so frustrating when they make bottles that are tall, but have a two inch base.  It's fucking stupid.  

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is so frustrating when they make bottles that are tall, but have a two inch base.  It's fucking stupid.  

So what did you spill your goo gone on?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think it was likely in response to consumer wishes - cut the packaging, reduce the footprint, save the environment!

You asked, you received.  The old bottles worked a charm but were so anti-green!

• Like 1

I stopped using goo gone when it marred the finish on a new bike. I was taking off all the manufacturers safety stickers and used goo gone to get the glue residue off.  I had a permanent dull spot on the top tube by the head tube…

Anymore I use WD40 to get glue residue off. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I stopped using goo gone when it marred the finish on a new bike. I was taking off all the manufacturers safety stickers and used goo gone to get the glue residue off.  I had a permanent dull spot on the top tube by the head tube…

Anymore I use WD40 to get glue residue off. 

Did you use paper towel? Paper towels will scratch the paint leaving it dull.

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think it was likely in response to consumer wishes - cut the packaging, reduce the footprint, save the environment!

You asked, you received.  The old bottles worked a charm but were so anti-green!

It woud be the same amount of pastic.  just make is shorter and wider. 

The contact cement people know how to design something that will not tip.

38 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

These product design people are idiots.  Why design a bottle of hightly caustic paint and goo remover in a bottle that tips over when the wind touches it.  This is so stupid.  These bottles that some of the manufaturers use seem like they were designed to tip.

Grrr

Don't you put yours in some sort of cup or holder so it won't fall over.  If not, never buy super glue.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

So what did you spill your goo gone on?

The cement deck.  It stained it.  I set it down and it just fell over.  

I was in the grocry recently.  This little lady was buyng propel bottles.  She set them down and could barely set them on the conveyer without it tipping over.  More fucking stupidity from product designers.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Did you use paper towel? Paper towels will scratch the paint leaving it dull.

That I recall I put a little goo gone on the glue residue and rubbed it off with my finger.  

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I was taking off all the manufacturers safety stickers

I've heard mayonnaise works well removing stickers!  Who knew?  Mayo or a blow dryer on low heat to soften the sticky (and then the mayo for residue)???

This is a bottle of Propel.  The shape of this is not ideal for a bottle of liquid.

tip hazard.jpg

• Confused 1
33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This is a bottle of Propel.  The shape of this is not ideal for a bottle of liquid.

tip hazard.jpg

fits well in the cupholder of your $70k truck

I will  send you a bottle of Goof Off

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

tip hazard.jpg

Think they do that to fit in bottle holders, like on an gym bike or treadmill?  It is odd how the top is wider. 

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I know the feeling. I spilled a bottle of spot remover and haven't seen my dog since.

What was the dogs name?

13 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Max.  :)

Good choice.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It is odd how the top is wider. 

I suspect the bottom is specifically designed more narrow so it fits more easily into a person's hand.

The more easily it fits into your hand, the more likely it's a product you'll prefer and buy more often.

20 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Agreed!  Been there!

We've had a small bottle for at least 10 years.  When we got it, my wife poked a small hole in the top safety seal material.  We open it, squirt a small amount on a rag, close it.

So far, we have not had a spill.

• Like 1