Standing her ground-no clients outside of normal work hrs.

shootingstar

looking into a financial adviser just for a simple (but sufficient) service for my situation. So we chatted. She is unwilling to accommodate my time zone for us to meet, which is 2 hrs. behind her.  She wants to stay within her normal work hrs...Eastern Standard Time.  She is an independent business woman with 2 young boys involved in sports teams. 

Maybe she got burnt earlier in the past.  

I think a lot of people who run solo firms do so because they didn't like the lifestyle at a larger firm  and they want more control over the aspects of their work that matter the most to them.  In this case it sounds like she wants a "lifestyle" practice.   I hope you find someone else able to work with you, shootingstar.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I think a lot of people who run solo firms do so because they didn't like the lifestyle at a larger firm  and they want more control over the aspects of their work that matter the most to them.  In this case it sounds like she wants a "lifestyle" practice.   I hope you find someone else able to work with you, shootingstar.

She is the 3rd person I "interviewed"/consulted. Previous one was a guy who was ok but I wondered about his credentials. The first one talked about how good their software was to generate the numbers.... that's a cookie cutter solution which is expensive to pay for. 

4th firm told me they were overloaded with clients and I would be put in the queue for next 6-8 months. 

Then there were 1-2 firms, just more expensive than all the above people/firms I consulted with.

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

She is unwilling to accommodate my time zone for us to meet, which is 2 hrs. behind her. 

She was unwilling to accommodate you, or you were unwilling to accommodate her? :dontknow:

But, honestly, it's like the plumber who is already busy - they are willing to look over a job, then choose to bid high on the work, and if they don't get the bid, no biggie. If they do, they are paid a premium.  Likewise, a person with a full advisory client list can "take it or leave it" according to their needs and not just cater to customers.

I don't bring work home. I don't "do" evenings or weekends.  I might in a major project if it was dire, but otherwise, I try to start and end the work day on a schedule that is fair to everyone.

• Heart 2

My SIL is a CPA tax accountant & earns good money with his firm.  As he’s young & learning the trade he has taken on numerous side jobs with other firms after hours. 

I’d think in 10 years or so he’d have built enough contacts &  experience he can call his own shots too.

• Heart 3

25 minutes ago, Magic Spoon said:

Sounds like she has had enough of out of work emergencies or priorities.  She is probably very efficient when she does work, and presumably makes more than minimum wage.

CAnada would never have a minimum wage.  They're better than that :cheerleader:

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

How is this any different than any other business?  Do you expect the grocer, or the produce shop or the hardware store to stay open a couple of hours late for you?  

Fucking Chick-fil-a needs to be open on Sundays, they would be sooooo much more successful if they were.  If you are a big business, you gotta be open when your customers want your stuff.  Small businesses can be less stringent about hours.

1 minute ago, Magic Spoon said:

Fucking Chick-fil-a needs to be open on Sundays, they would be sooooo much more successful if they were.  If you are a big business, you gotta be open when your customers want your stuff.  Small businesses can be less stringent about hours.

My pleasure.

On 7/22/2021 at 7:51 AM, ChrisL said:

My SIL is a CPA tax accountant & earns good money with his firm.  As he’s young & learning the trade he has taken on numerous side jobs with other firms after hours. 

I’d think in 10 years or so he’d have built enough contacts &  experience he can call his own shots too.

I decided not to go for the person mentioned at start of this thread.  

I'm choosing a CPA with financial planning designation also. He is located in a different province.  He is younger, but not totally new in full-time workforce, probably in accounting/tax sector for last 5 yrs. minimum or more.  From the looks of other firm members I saw on website, he might be itching to take over the firm (it's small) when 2 sr. partners retire in next few yrs. (they look around.....my age  :frantics:).  I can tell he's quite motivated to do stuff and made some comment that I seemed detailed oriented.  I did make some ideal specific requests.  He asked me something which stumped me and told me some people don't care. ..which surprised me. I thought: Are people that vague/lah-de-dah about not knowing much about their finances?

Yes, I know some people are that clueless and think cryptocurrency will solve most of their big debt/problems.

And no, not interested in a big firm. Means often higher fees, more overhead. 

• Awesome 1