Cordless Chain Saw Motor Died

MickinMD

I got a Worx 10" Cordless Chain saw at the beginning of June last year and worked the hell out of it cutting down tree branches up to 6" thick and working my way around some 10" ones.  It worked great and cut fast.

Today, 50 days after the warranty expired, the chain hung up when I ran into a thick wire against branch and smoke came out of the motor. Plenty of bar and chain oil in the chamber, etc. - it was not a problem with the chain.  I'm sure all the time it sat in my hot car before I was able to move back into the house didn't help it.  I think it's dead for good.  I'll have my BiL look at it but he's mostly a small-gas-motor repair guy and I'm not sure I'd trust it afterwards anyway. 

I double-checked the Amazon reviews, which are mostly very positive, so I ordered a new one - cheaper because I could order it without the battery and charger - and it will arrive tomorrow.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You hung the chain and therefore the electric motor to the point that the motor overheated.  Why is the warranty a part of this story.  Chain saw chain and iron or dirt or rock never ever co-exist.  The chain never wins.

True story.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

You hung the chain and therefore the electric motor to the point that the motor overheated.  Why is the warranty a part of this story.  Chain saw chain and iron or dirt or rock never ever co-exist.  The chain never wins.

The chain hung for a split second before the trigger was released. The motor shouldn't have overheated to the point of dying.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The chain hung for a split second before the trigger was released. The motor shouldn't have overheated to the point of dying.

Depends on how hot it was already.  Are you sure it was the motor, or might it have been the motor controller.  A locked rotor will send current through the roof and it's possible that the electronics simply screamed quickly before dying.