When’s the last time you ate sloppy Joe’s?

MoseySusan
Go to solution Solved by Randomguy,

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Recently and we just used ground beef and a mix.  I like to have american cheese and either sweet pickle relish or hamburger dills on mine.  

I like pickles, too. And yellow mustard. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

And do you have a recipe? 

I've seen recipes, but it's easier for me to get a can of Manwich Original Sloppy Joe Sause or the store brand.

I start off frying up the pound of ground beef and add onion and red or green bell pepper:

20200526_184736.jpg.36fea7e7d69b92bc8641ab9b4bfb55fb.jpg

Then I mix-in the can of sauce, add a little water to the can to get the last bit out, and let it marinate a little while to boil the extra water off:

20200526_184932.jpg.a3bb437215d3059a8c6872c0a4876d6e.jpg

I usually eat it open face with something like Knorr Fried Rice and Stewed Tomatoes:

1844241705_20200926_183138SloppyJoesKnorrChickenFriedRiceStewedTomatoes.jpg.dcc69b634ed99e9313938971e763b22d.jpg

By the way, I stopped in the original Sloppy Joe's in Key West, Florida during my 2017 Caribbean Cruise, but I didn't eat Sloppy Joes!  I had some kind of crab puffs:

SANY0039-rot_impr.900pJPG.thumb.jpg.5aa4b432412d4977fd5d4101cc9e0f3e.jpg SANY0043_impr_900p.JPG.924721efbff23f994a5847e93b84fbca.JPG

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

My recipe is fry onions and peppers, add a little tomato paste and some of my adobo seasoning, beef broth, BBQ sauce and let that simmer while I brown some ground beef with salt and pepper. Combine the sauce and meat. It’s ok.

I made cheeseburgers instead. 

• Awesome 2

You got to  simmer the meat in beer then chop onions some mustard put on low then take a two hour bicycle ride then when you get home they will be ready.Put some pickles and juice and simmer another few hours while you drink some beer.Steam some buns and enjoy.I been using veggie crumbles in place of meat ,just like meat .Krogers has them

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

You got to  simmer the meat in beer then chop onions some mustard put on low then take a two hour bicycle ride then when you get home they will be ready.Put some pickles and juice and simmer another few hours while you drink some beer.Steam some buns and enjoy.I been using veggie crumbles in place of meat ,just like meat .Krogers has them

No tomato in your recipe. The beer probably gives that sweetness and the mustard and pickles (brine and vinegar) is the spice and acid balance. 

10 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I recall my Mom trying them once when we were little - quite the adventure.  It will surprise nobody to hear that i don't have a recipe.

My mom used Manwhich canned sauce. And we got tater tots every time she made Manwhiches. 

• Awesome 1

At home we made them with tomato sauce and chicken gumbo soup with the browned beef & onion...In Jr. High home ec we did a variation on that recipe with a bit of mustard in it...Served on hamburger buns..with dill pickles....and if we had them..potato chips.  More recently I was used a can of tomato sauce and  probably McCormick's seasoning packet..might make them once a year.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yay!  How did the recipe turn out?

It’s yummy. I used grass fed 85% ground beef instead of 90%, so I didn’t do the baking soda step. I did brown it in a separate pan so I could strain off the fat. And I used an 8oz can of tomato sauce instead of 14, but added some beef stock. mr. was skeptical there’s no BBQ sauce, but he liked it anyway. We both had the requisite smudges on our mouths and filling falling out the back end of the bun. Sloppy! 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

It’s yummy. I used grass fed 85% ground beef instead of 90%, so I didn’t do the baking soda step. I did brown it in a separate pan so I could strain off the fat. And I used an 8oz can of tomato paste instead of 14, but added some beef stock. mr. was skeptical there’s no BBQ sauce, but he liked it anyway. We both had the requisite smudges on our mouths and filling falling out the back end of the bun. Sloppy! 

But were you secretly wishing it was Magic Spoon?

I always use 85%, any higher and it seems dry and lifeless.  I add jalapenos or fresno peppers.  Not sure what the baking soda is about, though, I haven't done that.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Not sure what the baking soda is about, though, I haven't done that.

I’ve seen that on America’s Test Kitchen. It changes the ph of the meat. Haven’t tried it yet. 

Jalapeños! Spicy…