Do you still have a landline?

Kirby

I chuckled reading Petite's thread about her insurance forms and phone messages when she mentioned her landline.  I thought I was the last person in the world to still have one.   I keep mine while I'm still working because the reception is a lot better than my cell phone and I often do long work calls and I get annoyed with bad sound quality for an hour long call.

Do you still have a landline?  If so, is it a line with a real telecom or a "triple play" with your cable (assuming you still have cable).

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

There's a third choice.  My "landline" is voip through my internet provider.  That has most of the advantages of my old AT&T line without the disadvantage of AT&T.  If more people heard what their cell phone sounded like they might have one too.

Cell service is nice, but the audio quality sucks.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, smudge said:

Yup. Also have a rotary phone. 

Of course we each have cell phones too.

Eliminated the land line at camp but could have it reinstated if we wanted.

Many people have landlines up here. 

I can see that if cell service is sketchy.  I can afford to have voip because cell service stays up when power goes down around here.  For a long time I kept the land line because it worked when power went out.  Unfortunately, trees and wires are a problem and they often take out the phone lines as well as the power lines.

• Heart 1

Nope. We dropped it several years ago. We asked ourselves who actually called us on the landline. Salespeople and MIL. We moved the landline number to WoW’s cell phone since she really had it used her cell much at the time. Her mom didn’t have to learn a new number. Took a bit of training for her to understand just because she answered didn’t mean we were home. No regrets. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

We do, but we might shut it down. We needed it to fax paperwork for #2 son’s disability account, but that program now uses online administration and we can e-mail attachments. I know, right? Welcome to the new millennium. 
The reason we’d keep the jacks is in the event we’d have to sell the house. Not sure we wouldn’t have to put them back in at the buyer’s request. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Yes, because there are people and companies I do not want to give my cell number to.

I do all my business and medical via the viop because there's no confusion as to which phone is involved and which answering machine has the message.  I'm not interested in doing any of this when I'm out and on the cell phone.

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Kirby said:

I chuckled reading Petite's thread about her insurance forms and phone messages when she mentioned her landline.  I thought I was the last person in the world to still have one.   I keep mine while I'm still working because the reception is a lot better than my cell phone and I often do long work calls and I get annoyed with bad sound quality for an hour long call.

Do you still have a landline?  If so, is it a line with a real telecom or a "triple play" with your cable (assuming you still have cable).

Yes, I have a landline as part of a Verizon Triple Play with Internet and Video.  I often have long phone calls with friends and relatives and prefer using the landline.

• Heart 2

No land line.  When we built our home in 2018, we didn't install any landline wires, outlets, etc..

WoBG and I have our cell phones.  Our cell service is just barely adequate, so I turned on wi-fi calling on both phones. All calls have good quality over the wi-fi.   Our cable modem and router are on a UPS so they never lose power.  If the power is off for a while I connect our generator to the home, that keeps everything gong.  The cable has stayed on during the last 2 power outages.  (now it won't)  So life even without utility power was still normal, except for adding gas to the generator once a day if needed.   We still can use our cell phones without the wi-fi.  The reception is better on the north side of the home.

I don't miss the landline.  We had the same phone number from 1984 to 2019.  Plus slooooow DSL service, on a good day 1Mbps.  And LOTS of span calls.  All of that for $70 a month.  At least now it is easy to block calls.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Yes, because there are people and companies I do not want to give my cell number to.

2 hours ago, shotgun said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!

So when we need to provide a number for non critical services we give them our old home number.  I always wondered who has that number now and how often they get robo called! 😂

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Just run a spoofed number on a second gmail. A google voice number is free and easy to handle. I have one specifically for my consulting work, that's actually registered to the gmail I use for that purpose so it comes up on the callerID, I have a third that is just a black-hole. The number technically works but will forever ring three times then go to a voicemail box hell. I give this to randoms that require a phone number.

As for the landline, removed mine back in 2001.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Kirby said:

I have a cable landline. 

• Heart 1