Doggone Problem

dinneR

Loose pooch harassing the bison.

“Being a dog owner and knowing dog behavior, if you’re commanding your dog and it’s not responding, just saying the same thing over and over and over again is not going to change its behavior,” he said. “When you’re 300 yards away and you’re calling your dog for 20 [expletive] minutes and it’s not coming, you’ve got to come up with a different plan.”

“It’s just like cigarette butts: They’re everywhere now,” he said. “I’m like the rest of us, and I’m pretty fed up that my town is being overrun by a bunch of trashy people.”

Even so, he’s hopeful that outreach can help curb ignorance and indifference.

“I would assume that everybody wants to be educated,” Deehan said, “and I don’t think that anybody sets out to be a dip---t.”

It doesn't address bison, but here in NY:

Environmental Conservation Law.   Chapter 43-B Of the Consolidated Laws.   Article 11. Fish and Wildlife.   Title 5. Fish and Wildlife Management Practices Cooperative Program; Prohibitions; Taking of Fish, Wildlife, Shellfish and Crustacea for Scientific or Propagation Purposes; Destructive Wildlife; Rabies Control; Guides; Endangered Species.

§ 11-0529. Cats hunting birds; dogs pursuing deer or killing other wildlife in certain areas

1. Any person over the age of twenty-one years possessing a hunting license may, and environmental conservation officers and peace officers, acting pursuant to their special duties, or police officers shall humanely destroy cats at large found hunting or killing any protected wild bird or with a dead bird of any protected species in its possession.

2. Every environmental conservation officer, forest ranger and member of the state police may kill any dog (a) pursuing or killing deer within the Adirondack or Catskill parks, at any time; (b) pursuing or killing any game or wildlife on a state-owned game farm or wildlife refuge; or (c) pursuing or killing any game or wildlife on a state-owned or leased wildlife management area, except a dog being legally used for hunting small game or for dog training.

3. Every park patrolman, park ranger and member of the state police, county police and town police may kill any dog pursuing or killing deer within any state park or state park reservation at any time.

4. At any time (a) any environmental conservation officer, dog warden, forest ranger or member of the state police, anywhere in the state, (b) any member of any town police within the limits of the town of which such member is an officer, (c) any member of the Westchester County Parkway police on any park, parkway or reservation owned or controlled by the county of Westchester or (d) any member of a police force or department of any county, city, town or village in which such member has jurisdiction and is regularly employed may kill any dog pursuing or killing deer and any coyote killing a domestic animal.

5. No action for damages shall lie against any authorized person for the killing of a cat, dog or coyote as provided in this section.

I would think most states would have similar provisions.