My brush with greatness

jsharr

30 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I had to see some more info about this.   So are all the boats identical, therefore it's all about the sailor's skill? 

https://www.sail-world.com/news/239820/J-22-Worlds-at-Corpus-Christi-day-3

yysw323470.jpg

Yes.  They even take the width of the boat and the number of boats in the fleet into consideration when setting the length of the starting line 100 eight foot wide boats they would have an 820 foot long starting line and make the boats battle for a position.  

I sailed in the North American Chdmpionships years ago.  Finished mid fleet which was okay by me.  A few races we got near the front.  

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

9 hours ago, jsharr said:

Yes.  They even take the width of the boat and the number of boats in the fleet into consideration when setting the length of the starting line 100 eight foot wide boats they would have an 820 foot long starting line and make the boats battle for a position.  

I sailed in the North American Chdmpionships years ago.  Finished mid fleet which was okay by me.  A few races we got near the front.  

I thought from the title that they let you sweep the deck.  I see however that you were involved in the chdmpionships.

• Awesome 1

I considered getting a sailboat, doing some training, and taking part in the many sailboat races done in the Chesapeake outside of Annapolis in the summers.

But I was going 50:50 on the boat with my BiL and he said, "Nah. I just want to go fishing and cruising."  So we got a 21' tri-hull, cuddy cabin inboard/outdrive with a 201 hp V6 engine.  It was fun, but we got rid of it when gas prices soared in the later 00's.

23 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I thought from the title that they let you sweep the deck.  I see however that you were involved in the chdmpionships.

I was the bowman.  Put headsails up and down, worked the pole and controls forward of the fast.  Also trimmed the jib upwind.  I can do every job on the boat and have.  Helmsman, mainsail trimmer, spinnaker, tactician.

• Heart 1