Help a starving traveler out.

Wilbur

Two Fools for delicious Irish pub food and a long list of whiskeys. Mikonos for Greek food. Rancher’s Club for steak and game. Paisano’s  for Italian food. Bandido Hideout for Mexican. Papa Felipe’s for New Mexican. Any of the three noodle/ramen places on Central across from the University. 
Beer at The Canteen or La Cumbre tap house. Starr Bros. for beer and better pub food. 
Michael Thomas or Little Bear for coffee.

• Heart 1

I already told you, my table.

In the event that I am not here to feed you, try Rodeos for pizza, Thai Orchid for Thai food, Luceros for Mexican, Roosters for a steak and fancy dinner, Mermaid cafe for a sammie, Nibbleys is not bad for a safe non-greasy spoon.  If you have time head out to Cowboy dinner tree where you can have a whole chicken, or a ginomous steak on this ranch outside of town.  They are very popular.  

Pappy Ganders down in Merrill is a popular place, but it is south of us.

• Heart 2

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You probably might not like most of our restaurants.  Most of them are mediocre at best with just a couple stand outs.

This is why I'll have to think about it later ...and Wilbur might be surprised by my recommendations.

Coming from Vancouver and Toronto, I've actually been abit disappointed by some places where I am.  And prairie city is 1.3 million people... We just need to pull ourselves out of the steak, burgers thing and mac cheese/poutine thing. And don't give me another salted caramel interpretation.  (There are a few gourmet great bakeries.)

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You probably might not like most of our restaurants.  Most of them are mediocre at best with just a couple stand outs.

When in Rome..  I like everything from dive bars to mid grade restaurants.  I rarely go to over-priced "high-end" restaurants.  That just isn't me. 

16 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

We just need to pull ourselves out of the steak, burgers thing and mac cheese/poutine thing. And don't give me another salted caramel interpretation.

Amen to that!  I never eat at chain restaurants anymore.  When you look at Earls, Cactus Club, Keg,  Moxy's, they are just carbon copies of one another. 

• Heart 2

My favorite was The Crab Cooker in Newport Beach.  They have my favorite red chowder and the seafood is cooked simply & is really fresh.  They serve on paper plates, plastic wear and the building was an old bank that was converted to a restaurant. But…

A couple of years ago a construction project next door damaged the building and they had to tear it down & rebuild.  It recently reopened and I’m sure the food will be the same but the charm of eating seafood in a 100 YO bank will most likely be gone…

• Heart 2

In Calgary:  Italian Store on Skyline Drive a few km. from airport..has great eggplant parimaigiana. Their meat lasagna looks good. Same for rice and cheese croquettes. (araciani or whatever the proper Italian name). They make a very hot americano...I guess that's very Italian and I only want 1 shot of epresso, not 2. Today I had their Italian "donut"...which really is just probably pizza dough lightly fried with sugar. Still warm. It is the only type of donut I buy vs. other types of donuts ..only because it's quite light, less guilt-ridden.   It's not a cake/heavy donut (like a French or German beignet). No, deli sandwiches and pizzas look abit too thick for me.  The deli is attached to their manufacturing /distribution centre for Italian food brands, their brand is Scarpone's for pesto, tomato paste, etc.  Tends to be for western Canada, not Ontario.

That's the lunch deli sit-in place.  You can also buy true from Italy all sort of cheap, dried pastas, and they have an incredible selection of domestic and foreign reasonablypriced proscuitto, schinklespeck and bresolas to ask for slicing thin....  The family/group owner is ....Italian lst & 2nd generation....based  just observing Italian and English spoken amongst them.

In downtown Vancouver: Maybe you are familiar..there is a longtime Japanese supermarket Fujiya on Clarke where Japanese-CAnadians multi-generations go (and other Asians). Their takeout sushi and sashimi packs are freshly made daily by a team of youngsters. It's just as good as going into any mid-range Japanese cuisine restaurant in Metro Vancovuer but abit cheaper in price. You can eat at a tiny counter there.  (There is NO comparable Japanese food supermarket in Metro Toronto. None.  Probably this is a reflection of former strong presence of the Japanese-Canadian community on west coast before the internment of the Japanese-Canadians WWII. vs. Central/Eastern Canada where the presence of Japanese-Canadians is very low.)

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I have a soft heart for  multi-generation ethnic places that still serve some decent food/brands. It's tough/hard and highly competitive to be in the food industry and be there in the long game.

I'm actually excited for the border to open so we can drive up and get some good food.  Tell your boys to open up!

• Heart 2

35 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

In Tampa, more accurately North Clearwater, is the best little gastropub we've ever eaten:

The Little Lamb https://www.thelittlelambgastropub.com/

Menu is small enough that it's worth it to go with on a date with another couple and order the complete menu. Worth it

I know it’s not fancy, but I’ve had some great Bairdi Crabs at Crabby Bills in your area, 4 or 5 times. Didn’t care for Stone Crab Claws. My parents used to winter at Indian Rocks Beach. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Looks like I am headed to La Connor.   The Key Lime pie looks amazing. 

They just opened a second place in La Conner. This place was in Bellingham. But if you've never been to La Conner, go there. In fact anyone coming to this state should go there. And sight see Deception Pass and then head into Anacortes and take the San Juan ferry. That's my tourism hint for the year.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

In Tampa, more accurately North Clearwater, is the best little gastropub we've ever eaten:

The Little Lamb https://www.thelittlelambgastropub.com/

Menu is small enough that it's worth it to go with on a date with another couple and order the complete menu. Worth it

I may be there next week!