It's almost never too late, folks. Come to the dark side.

Wilbur

6 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I guess that I could get my A&P license...

With all these Help Wanted signs everywhere, sometimes I feel a little guilty that an able-bodied person like myself isn't working. Fortunately I'm still able-minded enough to stay retired. 

My hero cannot go back to work. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This is pre-pandemic but the demand is going to be much higher post-pandemic. 

Years ago... I seriously consider getting an pilots license.  I even went on 1 or 2 flights (IIRC $50) in small planes and got to fly (while in the air) for a while, before enrolling in class.

One thing I noticed during my flights was there are no exit signs, and just about ALL of the visual landmarks I could use (or familiar with) for 'where am I" were gone. Things sure look different up in a plane. 

I figured navigation would be very important to learn.  I purchased a several of the books needed for the training, etc..   I started to lean more about navigation.   

I used MS Flight simulator (I know it's not the same) and changed all of the settings for expert, and started to fly and learn how to navigate.  Many hours later... I had a good idea about how to not get lost. 

Then my engineering brain took over...  and I estimated the total cost for the classes, flight time, cost for part ownership of a plane, fuel, insurance, maintenance cost, etc...   I figured I could buy a LOT of airline tickets for the cost of getting my pilots license and flying a small plane. 

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

https://www.avweb.com/features/careers-features/aviation-a-post-retirement-career/

This is pre-pandemic but the demand is going to be much higher post-pandemic. 

I decided my post retirement "career" would be doing things I didn't have time to do while working - like learning to play the piano.

I also want to do creative writing and can take courses for free at my Alma Mater, UMBC, which is a 20 minute drive from my home.  But I've got a lot of background to make where, for piano, I could already play guitar and read sheet music.

So maybe I'll do violin next - which would let me play solo, in a classical string quarter, or fiddle in a county/rock band.  Louise Hildreth-Grasso, a cool English woman who has played viola in the Hamburg and London Symphony Orchestras and now teaches violin and viola at Johns Hopkins U's world-class music college, The Peabody Institute, taught me in a 4-lesson into to violin class and said that, with my piano background, she could have me more than ready to join a band within 3 years of lessons. So I'm thinking about it for the Spring 2022 Semester, assuming the COVID numbers are way down.

• Heart 1