Electric weed eater?

Allen
Go to solution Solved by Thaddeus Kosciuszko,

I have a greenworks battery powered.  It is 3 years old and still works like a champ.  The battery also runs our electric lawnmower.  Granted I dont have a big property,  but it will easily run for an hour to and hour and a half on a charge

20210725_125639.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, smudge said:

HoSmudge ha a 24 volt Craftsman. He is meticulous, and the weed eater does a good job. He usually gets the job done with one battery, but sometimes he needs the second battery to finish up.

Similar battery behavior for me and my 2 year old Worx 24v. Small property but it lasts long enough for me to edge a loooong sidewalk and trim usually on one battery. I don’t think it lasts as long as zephyr’s though. That sounds pretty good. 

40 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have a greenworks battery powered.  It is 3 years old and still works like a champ.  The battery also runs our electric lawnmower.  Granted I dont have a big property,  but it will easily run for an hour to and hour and a half on a charge

20210725_125639.jpg

Similar for me.  My battery also runs my baby electric chainsaw on a pole (the branch divide  ian)

• Heart 2

We have various Briggs & Stratton 24v devices including a weed eater. So we have many batteries. It works well enough. I also have a gasoline-powered one but seldom use it. We also have battery and gasoline-powered leaf blowers. The battery-powered blower is somewhat weak.

Advice on battery life.  Do not leave the battery plugged into the charger whenever not in use.  Being kept at a full charge is not good for the life nor the performance of this type of battery.  Commercial advice is to store the unused batteries at no more than 90% of charge.  In my world of high performance batteries we store at a 50% charge rate and only charge before use.  Unlike the tiny wall wart chargers that come with the commercial drills and things my chargers have a "storage mode" that puts them in the 50/60% range.  Second tip:  It's not good for the battery of these devices, or even your phone or laptop to be consistently discharged to empty and recharged to full.  It's better to recharge whenever you've fallen below a certain level if possible and not to leave the device on charge whenever not in use.

I'm a bit surprised that the industry hasn't followed the path of the 12v car battery business with battery minders.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Advice on battery life.  Do not leave the battery plugged into the charger whenever not in use.  Being kept at a full charge is not good for the life nor the performance of this type of battery.  Commercial advice is not store the unused batteries at no more than 90% of charge.  In my world of high performance batteries we store at a 50% charge rate and only charge before use.  Unlike the tiny wall wart chargers that come with the commercial drills and things my chargers have a "storage mode" that puts them in the 50/60% range.  Second tip:  It's not good for the battery of these devices, or even your phone or laptop to be consistently discharged to empty and recharged to full.  It's better to recharge whenever you've fallen below a certain level if possible and not to leave the device on charge whenever not in use.

I'm a bit surprised that the industry hasn't followed the path of the 12v car battery business with battery minders.

Really!  Why is every charger not smart enough to do the right thing?  This blows, dammit!

21 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Really!  Why is every charger not smart enough to do the right thing?  This blows, dammit!

My chargers cost anywhere from $100 to several hundred.  They are however capable of charging multi chemistry batteries and they do take care to balance each cell so it matches all the others.  They have to be capable of discharging to a balanced condition as well to handle the storage mode.  Some folks have chargers that will charge at 30 or more amps.  They do this to slightly warm the battery so it's internal resistance is lowered just before race time. Yes they have temperature measuring cables just to be on the safe side.

I don't think you get this level of charger in your hedge trimmer wall wart.

• Heart 1

I have a Worx Weedwhacker and it's nice and lite and does a decent job on grass and light weeds. It also has a wheel that can be raised or lowered so you and run it similar to a lawnmower or if your arm is getting tired.  I have 3 Worx tools, weedwhacker, 10" chainsaw, and drill/screwdriver and the three batteries (4 ampH and two 2 ampH) are interchangeable, so they'll outlast me on any given day.

• Heart 1