MAID & situations

shootingstar

Canada recently passed federal legislation which does allow medically assisted death. There were understandably significant discussion and real concerns. Big ones.

The problem of putting this in reality....the question in an oblique way is asked of the patient (for certain conditions)...even if they weren't even asking for it/not even a consideration. When I heard how innocently the question might come about, I was abit shocked.  That is definitely a red alert for future.

So a friend of mine is looking into retirement homes vs. apts.  She is 83 yrs. The place she is quite interested (and it won't be cheap but has services, ambience she likes), states on its website:

Our organization is guided by the tenets of our Christian faith that upholds the sanctity of life, no matter what stage of life. Given that our beliefs are contrary to the intentions of Medical Assistance in Dying, such provision of death will not be permitted on our premises. We understand that all people experience life facing different challenges and having different needs. 

On a totally different case, a good close friend of mine, my age did have a disabled friend who chose MAID recently. She died this past spring. She was suffering from pain and some poisoning of her blood from metal rods that were surgically inserted in her back as a child to correct whatever was.  (A treatment that is not used today.)  This person was only in her early 60's.  My friend did not agree with her choice. Anyway friend is looking to write a book about this person's life with MAID quest as part of it all.

• Hugs 1

Agree on early & open communication. Let everyone you know & especially family what your wishes are.MAID & DwD are not for everyone. It was right for us. Hospice is right for others. We did not have confidence that hospice would be peaceful death for WoScrapr. 

Along the same lines as the Christian Assisted Living place is Christian hospital systems. I'm unsure if a hospital system would approve/sign off on DwD. You probably could find a Doc outside the system but that would be another hassle when you are already stressed

• Heart 1

I don’t even know if the cancer was what actually killed her or if it was the morphine. Hospice told me not to let her be in pain and at the end she was in constant pain when she was awake and when I gave her morphine she would sleep. Then she started crying out in pain in her sleep. I called the hospice emergency nurse and she told me to give her more morphine. Either way she was definitely in her last stage of life at that point. There were no questions asked when she passed. On the cause of death on the death certificate they wrote cancer.

• Hugs 3

My uncle wanted to register for the same.  Once diagnosed with dementia, he could no longer do so.  His past 3 years have been hell for all involved and he hasn’t had a lucid moment in that time.  I am expecting a call any moment with the news as his respiration is hardly noticeable, pulse is weak and he is ridden with bed sores.  A horrible way to go. 

• Sad 1

My FIL went through similar during his last hospitalization at 93 following a head injury from a fall. One doctor, with both present at the same time was recommending aggressive care, surgery and feeding tube for rest of life while the other was more palliative care which he chose with transfer to hospice care. The second doctor mouthed a quiet “thank you” when heard the decision. I think that was the time when he told the doctors “you got to know when to hold, and know when to fold.” 

8 hours ago, Tizeye said:

My FIL went through similar during his last hospitalization at 93 following a head injury from a fall. One doctor, with both present at the same time was recommending aggressive care, surgery and feeding tube for rest of life while the other was more palliative care which he chose with transfer to hospice care. The second doctor mouthed a quiet “thank you” when heard the decision. I think that was the time when he told the doctors “you got to know when to hold, and know when to fold.” 

When WoScrapr made the first request for DwD the oncologist physically relaxed. Not super noticable but we both saw it. He  was ready for more treatments. I wish he could have suggested it earlier in the process

Chemo is no fun but it gave my wife another 10+ years of fairly good life. It doesn’t  always work. The combination of blood thinners and chemo I’m getting blood blisters all over my body. My veins look terrible. I got three calls from the cancer center today. They want me to come in an hour early for an exam before my treatment.

• Hugs 3

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Chemo is no fun but it gave my wife another 10+ years of fairly good life. It doesn’t  always work. The combination of blood thinners and chemo I’m getting blood blisters all over my body. My veins look terrible. I got three calls from the cancer center today. They want me to come in an hour early for an exam before my treatment.

Sorry to hear that, LJ.  Hang in there, buddy. 

• Heart 1