What do we do with her?

Digital_photog

Awesome. How old is she? Most likely she will be self-motivated to take upon jogging /other sport as an adult.  It was like this with 2 of my sisters who ran "cross-country" runs...which was what we called it way back then.

She will also treasure this photo of her in the years to come.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Awesome. How old is she? Most likely she will be self-motivated to take upon jogging /other sport as an adult.  It was like this with 2 of my sisters who ran "cross-country" runs...which was what we called it way back then.

She will also treasure this photo of her in the years to come.

She just turned 12. She is training for her Jr. high cross country team.  In high school they run 5k. Jr. high is 1.5 miles.  This is the second year she has done this race.  Last year it was cancelled because of covid.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

She is at an age group where being at the top of your age group gives you an advantage. Us old geezers being at the top of your age group is a disadvantage.

I remember for myself ages 10-13, I felt I was achieving all sorts of cool stuff/discovering some natural good stuff about self.  I'm betting digital's granddaughter feelin' the same.  It's an incredible feeling at that time in life...at least for a girl.  One feels like being at the top of the world.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

She is at an age group where being at the top of your age group gives you an advantage. Us old geezers being at the top of your age group is a disadvantage.

Until you get bumped up to the next age class. You’re gonna crush the 80+ age class! 

• Heart 3

she does very good in 5k and even runs some 10K. Not so well at   1.5 miles. She has trouble pacing herself for 1.5 miles.  Since Jr high track doesn't have the distance races she is running hurdles.  Coach wants her to stay with hurdles. Says that even though she isn't the fastest she has the best form on the team and he expects her to be much faster for her 7th and 8th grade seasons.

• Heart 1

Good for her!  If she runs long distance regularly, 90's isn't bad if you stay hydrated. My cross country kids and I would run 3-9 miles in August practices - while I made sure everyone had access to plenty of water.  When you're in really good running shape and sweat, there's not much salt in the sweat so you're not losing many ions and you're much better protected from having a heat-related problem.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Good for her!  If she runs long distance regularly, 90's isn't bad if you stay hydrated. My cross country kids and I would run 3-9 miles in August practices - while I made sure everyone had access to plenty of water.  When you're in really good running shape and sweat, there's not much salt in the sweat so you're not losing many ions and you're much better protected from having a heat-related problem.

She said this race is always tough. You enter the fairgrounds, feel like you are about to the end and still have another mile to go.