I have a fat question

Dirtyhip

So, can you save all the bits of fat, in a freezer bag, and then cook them down and skim for fat/oil for soap?

My friend told me that you need this specific type of fat for the soap.  She said you need a hard fat.  I have been using cocout oil, olive il, shae and crisco style oil.  You can use beef tallow.  I thought that beef tallow is made from all kinds of fats, and not this one fat that she told me about.  Shoot, let me text her and get what kind.   she  just told me that I needed. retro peritoneal fat

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Is the quality of soap the issue?

Never had a problem, this is a concern in trying this though.  I am trying to make my own fat from the foods we have, instead of buying as much of it. Some of the recipes call for beef tallow.

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Never had a problem, this is a concern in trying this though.  I am trying to make my own fat from the foods we have, instead of buying as much of it. Some of the recipes call for beef tallow.

Didn’t you buy a half a cow for your freezer? Tell them you want the tallow too. Most people don’t want the tallow unless they are feeding birds.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Didn’t you buy a half a cow for your freezer? Tell them you want the tallow too. Most people don’t want the tallow unless they are feeding birds.

Tallow is a processed item, I think.  They just give you chunks of cow.  Beef tallow is rendered fat, is it not?  The butcher does not render fat.  they just cut, grind and wrap the cow for you. 

Just now, Digital_photog said:

Get some goats.  My sister makes very nice soap from the fat in goats milk.  They will also furnish you meat, milk to drink, cook and make cheese and mow your lawn for you. No need for a gas mower.

i wish.  Don't really have the time for that.