The neighbor is harvesting his crop today.

Longjohn

He owns the field on two sides of my property. I don’t know what he planted. It looks like corn but he planted it solid, not in rows. I guess he is making fancy hay for his horses and prize black angus. He is cutting it with a haybine. This looks like his rig except he has a forklift on the front of his tractor.

F6603046-5EC7-42D2-9928-5EDD26B36D78.thumb.jpeg.b933036eeede27ed1dc34cfebf7ac65b.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Allen said:

Could it be sorghum?

He didn’t let it get tall like sorghum and I don’t think you would harvest sorghum with a haybine, but I’m not a farmer.

35 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I thought sorghum, too.  I thought your neighbors were Amish?

This in McKean, he lives more than a mile away on another road. He owns more than 1,000 acres. He is a college educated farmer.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, smudge said:

Alfalfa?

It might be or any one of the other little rascals. I learned a lot about hay from uncle google today but no closeup of just the plant. He cut it before it started to go to seed. The seed is the giveaway weather it’s Timothy, or alfalfa, or rye grass.

These are the leaves. They curled up by the time I got to the house. They were wider.

1DC57AE8-36AB-4CFB-B113-2FEC84B015E3.jpeg.31060aefb8459d162024660c8192b709.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It might be or any one of the other little rascals. I learned a lot about hay from uncle google today but no closeup of just the plant. He cut it before it started to go to seed. The seed is the giveaway weather it’s Timothy, or alfalfa, or rye grass.

These are the leaves. They curled up by the time I got to the house. They were wider.

1DC57AE8-36AB-4CFB-B113-2FEC84B015E3.jpeg.31060aefb8459d162024660c8192b709.jpeg

What does it taste like?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

It is neither Timothy nor rye.  Both of those are tall slender grasses.  Alfalfa is a legume and has short leafy stems.  When the plant flowers (purple) the stems are already getting stiff.  A great source of feed for cows as they can handle it.  Much more than 50-50 alfalfa/hay is too hot for horses and could kill them.  A loose horse left in that field very long will be dead by morning.

• Heart 2