Another e-bike thread you're sure to miss

Dottleshead

So have been working unhealth-ily and finally took a day off. I go out to the garage excited to jump on the bike and take off. There's a seat repair issue on the e-bike that needs to be addressed but I'm not in the mood so grab the older titanium road (the converted cyclocross bike with extended stem) and take off. Whoa Nelly! These are my observations since about 2 years.

Road bikes are light. They are ridiculously light. In fact, I've determined only snowflakes like @Razors Edge uses them anymore. I didn't weigh it but that bike probably weighs 1/3 of my e-bike. 

My wife (who is no biking slouch) chose to ride her e-bike in non-power mode and after 6 weeks of not doing anything, I left her in the dust 

I had forgotten how sweet those traditional upper gear systems are. This one is SRAM but my other is Shimano. Doesn't matter for this review. Gear systems are where it's at.

I don't think I got any more or less of a workout than when riding my electric pedal assist bike in eco mode (lowest assist).

I had to become comfortable again riding on 28 tires again. E-bike is like 44. Balloons but I don't worry about tipping over or losing control at low speeds.

It's nice not to eff with the battery.

So...

A tank e-bike ridden in eco mode is no less of a work out than my road bike. E-bike wins on hills. Road bike wins in hassle free riding because I don't have to gauge my power supply. Or worry about it. Or be relegated back to a snail's pace trying to get home on a tank. And riding a road bike does raise the esteem of traditionalists like @Razors Edge who now can adequately measure themselves up against the competition.

• Heart 2

I can see an e-bike in my future. However I hope to ride without a motor for a few more years.

Going from the 60 pound tandem with 2.125x26 tires to the 22 pound road bike with 700x25s is an experience. Instant acceleration and very quick turns. My gravel bike with 650b x 47s is closer to the road bike in handling and acceleration.

• Heart 1