Quote of the Day: Anne Frank

Inspiration Bot

32 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

This is a sad quote from Frank. “Arbeit macht frie” was emblazoned on the gates into work and concentration camps. 

Was that the genesis of her quote though?

The reason I ask is basically growing up Dutch and having Dutch family it seems they put a high priority on work. Not so much what you do but how hard and how well you do it. 

Dutch take pride in immaculate homes, clean & orderly and pride in craftsmanship.  They appreciate the work that goes into it.  

My family seemed to understand & appreciate jobs based around hard labor, construction, mechanics & such.  When my mom would explain my job to other Dutch people she just said I had an “office job” which just didn’t resonate with them. 

I do see your point and that could very well be it but I took it more from how they value hard work.

This was a quote from her diary.  The diary she kept when she was a young teen.  She was an exiled German living in hiding in the Netherlands along with her family.  She was 15 when she was sent to the concentration camps and only survived there for 4 months.  Her life as we know it is documented by her from the age of about 12 to 15.  She was just a kid.  A seasoned and persecuted kid but still just a kid.  Her brother survived the war and camp and retrieved her diary after the war and had it published.

22 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This was a quote from her diary.  The diary she kept when she was a young teen.  She was an exiled German living in hiding in the Netherlands along with her family.  She was 15 when she was sent to the concentration camps and only survived there for 4 months.  Her life as we know it is documented by her from the age of about 12 to 15.  She was just a kid.  A seasoned and persecuted kid but still just a kid.  Her brother survived the war and camp and retrieved her diary after the war and had it published.

Right, but was the quote before or after getting sent to the  the camp?  It’s been ages since I read the book but didn’t her family/Ann  take issue with one of the other people in hiding with them?  Was the quote directed at her maybe?

I went to the house 25 years ago and took the tour. Amazing how small the area was they all lived in. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Right, but was the quote before or after getting sent to the  the camp?  It’s been ages since I read the book but didn’t her family/Ann  take issue with one of the other people in hiding with them?  Was the quote directed at her maybe?

I went to the house 25 years ago and took the tour. Amazing how small the area was they all lived in. 

Before.  Her diary was kept by a secretary of her brother's when the family was sent to the camps.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Dutch take pride in immaculate homes, clean & orderly and pride in craftsmanship.  They appreciate the work that goes into it.  

Yes. All of what you said, especially this part. It is remarkably sad to me that the Northern European work ethic was channeled into a massive ethnic cleansing industry. 

• Sad 1