Simone Biles

Airehead

the latest from CNN

USA Gymnastics confirmed in a statement on Tuesday that Biles’ withdrawal from the gymnastics team event competition was due to a “medical issue.

52 min ago

Biles is supporting USA from the sidelines

From CNN's George Ramsay at the Ariake Gymnastics Centre

From left: Jordan Chiles, Simone Biles and Grace McCallum cheer on Sunisa Lee of Team United States as she competes on uneven bars on Tuesday. From left: Jordan Chiles, Simone Biles and Grace McCallum cheer on Sunisa Lee of Team United States as she competes on uneven bars on Tuesday. Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Since being attended to by a trainer, Simone Biles has returned to the arena and has been supporting her teammates from the sidelines — chatting with them and cheering after each routine.

Sunisa Lee got a big hug from Biles and the rest of the team as she completed her beam routine and scored 14.133.

We're now on the third rotation of this women's team final and USA trails the Russian Olympic Committee.

From FOX..

The superstar American gymnast appeared to slip and nearly landed on her knees trying to land her planned Amanar vault. She finished with a 13.766 score and was seen talking with trainers after the attempt.

She pulled out of competition right after this.

https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-olympics-live-updates/2021/07/27/1021090180/u-s-womens-gymnastics-team-gold-final-simone-biles-sunisa-lee

Simone Biles Says She Pulled Out Of Gymnastics Finals Due To Mental Health Concerns

After a difficult first vault, Biles said she pulled her coaches aside and said she wanted to withdraw.

"I can't risk a medal for the team, so I need to call it. And you usually don't hear me say things like that because I usually persevere and push through things," she said, and added that her coaches and team doctor took her words seriously.

"Today has been really stressful," she said. The team worked out in the morning, and in the five and a half hours before competition, she said she started shaking. "I've just never felt like this going into a competition before. I tried to go out here and have fun ... but once I came out here, I was like, 'no, mental is not there, so I just need to let the girls do it and focus on myself.'"

• Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, denniS said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-olympics-live-updates/2021/07/27/1021090180/u-s-womens-gymnastics-team-gold-final-simone-biles-sunisa-lee

Simone Biles Says She Pulled Out Of Gymnastics Finals Due To Mental Health Concerns

After a difficult first vault, Biles said she pulled her coaches aside and said she wanted to withdraw.

"I can't risk a medal for the team, so I need to call it. And you usually don't hear me say things like that because I usually persevere and push through things," she said, and added that her coaches and team doctor took her words seriously.

"Today has been really stressful," she said. The team worked out in the morning, and in the five and a half hours before competition, she said she started shaking. "I've just never felt like this going into a competition before. I tried to go out here and have fun ... but once I came out here, I was like, 'no, mental is not there, so I just need to let the girls do it and focus on myself.'"

Dennis’ post is consistent with what my confidential sources on the Olympics gymnastics team are telling me. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

The Wall Street Journal article is consistent:

She told reporters after that she was not physically injured, but risked such an outcome because her head was not in the right place to continue safely with the competition. She added that it also seemed to risk the team’s ability to medal at all.

She has been a rock for so long, handling the pressures of the prior Olympics and tons of other championships  But there are times she sounds very vulnerable  on social media, I am glad she felt confident enough to make the decision that was right for her.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

I hope she will not let this Olympic situation pull her down too much thereafter.  It's going to be not too easy for her for awhile.

I wonder how a such incredible high-performing and strong gymnast with some really dangerous maneouvres, know when to ease off from certain things..not her whole routine. Certain maneouvres. 

I am torn. 

I know we are all congratulating her on this, but buck the hell up, buttercup, this is the olympics.  Seriously, performing under pressure is why you are here, you don't get to decide after you have been brought to the far corners of the orient to have personal mental health time-outs.  If you don't have the requisite mental fortitude, now is the time find it.   This is exactly how it is developed, in fact.  SHE has developed it in the past, through training and performance at the toughest events the world over, find it again.

On the other hand, nobody is perfect, and younger people might not have experience dealing with the pressure.  If her rationale is that "my concentration sucked and I thought I was going to hurt the team and knock us out of contention", then it was a good call for the good of the team.  I suppose she still can compete in individual events, is that right?  It really isn't the end of the world that she didn't compete, and there really is no great loss if the country doesn't get a medal.

Ultimately, I think you sort this thing out before you demolish your competition, event after high-stress event, to get here.  Eye of the damn tiger and all that.  You practice so much so that you do get your chance in the moment.  You know when the event is, rise to the occasion.  She did it before, she could do it again or just have a bad day.  Nobody dies if you don't win.

Anyway, sorry to not be so understanding about this, but this is when you put your doubts aside and put your best foot forward, and worry about mental health after the event.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Anyway, sorry to not be so understanding about this, but this is when you put your doubts aside and put your best foot forward, and worry about mental health after the event.

If their head isn’t in the right place, they could do serious damage to their bodies, though. She and other gymnasts are pushing into more difficult and complex moves. I watched the men’s team qualifying finals awhile ago, and one of them was scheduled to perform a complex routine, but let it go mid-performance. He still made the team, but the commentary was that he needs to get that move sorted out while in Tokyo. I’m glad that Biles decided to pull out instead of potentially destroying her knee, ankle, or hip. We’ve seen that before; we’ve stopped asking that of our Olympians. 

I believe the team event is a 3 up, 3 count event where three  of the 4 gymnasts from each country's team  do each event.  In the qualifying, all 4 do each event and you can drop the lowest score.  One reason for her withdrawal is she thought the other gymnast on the team would do better than she would and if she competed and messed up, her score would count.  This way they still had a chance of getting a medal  (they won silver) which they likely wouldn't if she bombed an event.   I think she truly thought they'd have a better chance using the other team member in various events. Plus as MoseySusan mentioned there is a real safety risk if you're not able to perform the planned elements.

I was surprised by her decision, but she's competed at the Olympics before and has handled all sorts of pressure.  If she doesn't think she's up to it right now, I respect her decision.  I think her experience dealing with the Federation and how they've handled the Nasser situation has taught her that nobody is looking out for her best interest except for her and her coaches.

• Heart 1

I read an article from someone who said they had reached somewhat high levels of gymnastics. I forget the term she used, but what she described compared to my inner ear infection a few years ago. She was pretty sure that was what Simone felt because she could pick out things in that last vault that told her something was very wrong. Simone's face showed that after. 

When I had the infection, turning my head to back my car out of the driveway could make me dizzy. Running was scary. Ironically, the bike was one of the few places it did not bother me. I can't imagine how terrifying that would have been for her to realize that was going on mid vault. 

Beyond that, the media was constantly Simone this and Simone that. I admire her a lot but it was wearing on me and I don't even watch that much of them. It would be tough to deal with that attention at my age now, let alone at 24. 

• Heart 2

On 7/27/2021 at 9:02 AM, Airehead said:

I feel so sad for her.  Anyone know what really happened?

She said it wasn't physical, that her head wasn't in the right place.

I've coached all-county all-star team high school girls - and boys - in softball, track, and cross-country and have had cases where they simply couldn't perform because of some mental hangup.  They feel the weight of the team. their parents and friends, and their chances for college scholarships bearing down on them every time there's a chance of a bad performance.

One of my ace softball pitchers threw wild a couple times to first base and, for the rest of the season, would freeze-up every time she picked up a ground ball, even when she had plenty of time to make the throw.  She had no problem windmill pitching the ball at 60 mph to batters, but that throw to first base had her psyched out.  I coached her to take one step towards first and flip the ball underhanded to solve the problem.

I've also had players who refused give in to physical problems, but that doesn't make me think less of those who got psyched-out.

One Senior named Jennifer, with a stress fracture in her foot, got a doctor's permission to run in the 3-mile County Championship Cross Country Meet, where she had finished in the top-5 as a Junior.  Halfway through, she was in 8th place out of 84 A-race (top 7 per school) runners but in agony and losing ground and it took her father and me to literally tackle her to make her stop running. She pounded me on the shoulder with her fist in anger, but later realized we were saving her foot for her next two seasons: she had Winter indoor and Spring outdoor track seasons to recover and got her college scholarship.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

If she didn't feel like she could compete in what can be a dangerous sport while performing some of the most dangerous moves that are used (unique to her in many cases) than it's well within her right to not do so.

Athletes don't belong to us.  They belong to themselves.

Agree.

As armchair spectators...we actually are being entertained. That's our role and it's an extremely naive, privileged one. 

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Agree.

As armchair spectators...we actually are being entertained. That's our role and it's an extremely naive, privileged one. 

Disagree.  They said it wasn't medical, it was mental. No medical reason means someone needs to be saying "it is time to get your damn head in the game and go".

I still think you harden up as much as you can harden up and perform.  The worst you can do is not good, so do your routine in a not-good or a good way now that the country has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on you in terms of training and coaching and traveling and whatnot.  Retire after if your head isn't into it anymore, but don't be a quitter when it is go time.  The military doesn't take mental time outs during big battles due to pressure, Tom Brady and Michael Jordan come up big when the pressure is on, so did Cavendish and and Nadia and every other Olympian out there.  Being an elite athlete requires the ability to deal with pressure, so deal with it, and don't be an elite athlete if you can't do all the things that are required to be one.  It sucks that her realization came at that moment it did, but geez, get out there and do what you do.

I am sorry she is feeling the pressure acutely, it may just be her time to end her career if she can't deal with it.  If you say that is harsh, it is simply realistic.  

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

All the people judging here should step back and rethink those comments.

I feel for her, I really do.  I just think the timing of this sucks and she really should have gone out and did her routine.  If it was bad, so what?  Maybe that one event takes the jitters away.  If she loosens up, great, back in the saddle.

Anyway, humans judge, that is what we do.  I judge her choice as maybe right for her in that moment and wrong long-term, and wrong for the team, and I think most people would be feeling regret having pissed away an opportunity because they felt pressure in a pressure-packed event that you knew well beforehand to be pressure-packed.  What really sucks is that she pissed away someone else's opportunity to be an Olympian, too.

10 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Apples and Oranges.  One is war and the other is a game.  If this lady needed to stop, it is her right to do so.  

True, war is different, but the other examples stand because they are apt.  Brady dealt by deflating footballs, Jordan was Jordan, Lebron does Lebron things, you simply tough it out.  Elite athletes deal with pressure because it comes with the territory every time.  When you are in a team, you support your team and don't quit on them when it your turn to perform.

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

True, war is different, but the other examples stand because they are apt.  Brady dealt by deflating footballs, Jordan was Jordan, Lebron does Lebron things, you simply tough it out.  Elite athletes deal with pressure because it comes with the territory every time.  When you are in a team, you support your team and don't quit on them when it your turn to perform.

Jordan & LeBron weren't putting their life in jeopardy when they performed. Simone very well could have cracked her neck. Her orientation while flying in the air was off. She called it the "twisties". IDK what that is but doesn't sound great 15' in the air. 

We don't need to see a Kerri Strug vaulting on a broken ankle with her coach screaming at her to go. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

16 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Jordan & LeBron weren't putting their life in jeopardy when they performed. Simone very well could have cracked her neck. Her orientation while flying in the air was off. She called it the "twisties". IDK what that is but doesn't sound great 15' in the air. 

We don't need to see a Kerri Strug vaulting on a broken ankle with her coach screaming at her to go. 

Ok, this is true that she is doing more dangerous routines than other sports, maybe that part of the perspective wasn't in place in earlier replies.  I am not a gymnast and can't do what she does and don't know the mental gymnastics required for the physical gymnastics.  I also don't know what the twisties are unless it refers to nipple twisters.   I still think you go if you can go, though, and you fight through things that spook you a bit.

Was a coach screaming at Strug?  I thought the coach wanted her to sit that one out and she wasn't having it, at least that is my memory of it.  I do think what Strug did was admirable in overcoming some substantial adversity.

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I do think what Strug did was admirable in overcoming some substantial adversity.

She probbly did lasting damage to her ankle.  Go team USA.  :mellow:

Simone is a hero to me for standing up for herself and choosing self care.  Screw the haters.  They likely can't even do a cartwheel.

• Awesome 3

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Apples and Oranges.  One is war and the other is a game.  If this lady needed to stop, it is her right to do so.  

58 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

On the war part, now I have never been in combat but it is pretty well documented that when a soldier loses it, they are pulled off the line.  It happens, people get she’ll shocked and keeping someone with that state of mind in a forward position creates a dangerous situation for everyone.  

I have seen soldiers lose it during really traumatic traffic accidents & fights.  We didn’t shout at them to suck it up & drive on, we removed them from the situation & adjusted. Pretty much like Simone Biles did.

• Heart 4

There is no point in redefining what a win is and what a loss is, to accommodate an athlete we like.  She lost, she quit.  Being on your game includes the psychology of it.  Clearly, she wasn't on her game at the point in time she decided to quit her Olympics.  Every athlete goes through it.  So what.. 

• Heart 4

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

There is no point in redefining what a win is and what a loss is, to accommodate an athlete we like.  She lost, she quit.  Being on your game includes the psychology of it.  Clearly, she wasn't on her game at the point in time she decided to quit her Olympics.  Every athlete goes through it.  So what.. 

So let's say you take up your boss's offer to fly your family to a destination wedding. The day you are to leave, you experience dizziness and disorientation. Are you still going to fly the plane? Or are you going to see if you can get someone to fly for you? Tough it up, man. It's only your family...

1 hour ago, groupw said:

So let's say you take up your boss's offer to fly your family to a destination wedding. The day you are to leave, you experience dizziness and disorientation. Are you still going to fly the plane? Or are you going to see if you can get someone to fly for you? Tough it up, man. It's only your family...

I would not fly the plane.  It is the only safe thing to do. Every pilot has a day they should not fly, medically, similar to every athlete having a day, they are not at their best and should not compete. That would be my call, as it was hers. The difference being, she isn't going to die or kill her family by competing. 

• Heart 1

55 minutes ago, groupw said:

But this line doesn't make sense, SB did not have physical/medical concerns, but mental problems.  Not the same at all.

You know, if this SB situation occurred on a men's team or on a foreign team, there would be a ton more talk about leaving your team in the lurch.  There seems to be way more favorable treatment of this because she is well-liked and a chick.  As I said like 42 billion times so far, nobody gets shot if they don't medal, so go and try and do your thing if you at all can. 

It also occurs to me that some of the pressure of this comes from the fact that there are no fans in the stands and fewer stories about fan favorites that emerge during the games.   The pre-competition build up may have psyched her out a bit, but why did it affect her so much now all of a sudden?  

• Heart 1

I'm old school.  I'm and old white dood.  You don't quit on your team.  Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

But this is not quitting on your team.  This was her inability to comprehend the spacial characteristics necessary while perform routines that include both rotating and twisting.  To have that happen to you as someone that has been doing this since childhood and at the very highest level for the last several years has to be frightening.  She was launching herself 15 feet into the air, twisting and turning and had lost all sense of what she had been conditioned to.

I have no use for the softness and white glove handling of our younger generation.  I'm dealing with it with a young salesman here at work.  I'm sorry your emotions are fragile.  I'm paying you to do a job and customers are counting on you.  Get over yourself and get on with it.

SB's issue isn't that.

Here is an enlightening article...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/us/simone-biles-olympics-gymnastics-physical-mental-health/index.html

• Heart 3

33 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I'm old school.  I'm and old white dood.  You don't quit on your team.  Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

But this is not quitting on your team.  This was her inability to comprehend the spacial characteristics necessary while perform routines that include both rotating and twisting.  To have that happen to you as someone that has been doing this since childhood and at the very highest level for the last several years has to be frightening.  She was launching herself 15 feet into the air, twisting and turning and had lost all sense of what she had been conditioned to.

I have no use for the softness and white glove handling of our younger generation.  I'm dealing with it with a young salesman here at work.  I'm sorry your emotions are fragile.  I'm paying you to do a job and customers are counting on you.  Get over yourself and get on with it.

SB's issue isn't that.

Here is an enlightening article...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/us/simone-biles-olympics-gymnastics-physical-mental-health/index.html

Some of you people suck at cutting and pasting, which is remarkably easy to do: 

A case of the 'twisties'

She said in morning practice that she had a little bit of the twisties. The twisties are a mysterious phenomenon -- suddenly a gymnast is no longer able to do a twisting skill she's done thousands of times before. Your body just won't cooperate, your brain loses track of where you are in the air. You find out where the ground is when you slam into it.

There is more in the article that kzoo linked but didn't paste the meat of his argument because he had the posting twisties somehow.  Anyway, I can see that this would be dangerous, so it is more understandable based on that article.  I suppose you can't pick the time of it.  I would call the twisties different than 'pressure', though, so maybe this was mis-characterized from the outset.   Just 'feeling pressure' seems a weak explanation and a weak reason to pull out, I don't know why people didn't just lead with the twisties explanation instead right away.
  • Heart 2

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The difference being, she isn't going to die or kill her family by competing. 

Total bullshit.  She is launching herself in the air with her legs above her head. She very well could cripple herself or die, when not on her game. You don't think her manuevers are amazing and dangerous?

People who know best about their bodies and their sport are the athletes who do it.  

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Your body just won't cooperate, your brain loses track of where you are in the air. You find out where the ground is when you slam into it.

While we are comparing this to aviation, the same thing happens to pilots.  Everyone goes through stages where their perceived spacial orientation doesn't match reality and the result is a bone rattling contact with the ground.  Is he a crappy pilot or washed up, no, just struggling with the "twisties".  

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Total bullshit.  She is launching herself in the air with her legs above her head. She very well could cripple herself or die, when not on her game. You don't think her manuevers are amazing and dangerous?

People who know best about their bodies and their sport are the athletes who do it.  

It isn't total bullshit at all.  Grow the fuck up and stop making excuses.  People accept the risk they know they are predisposed to.  In her case, she walked away and she maintains it is the right thing to do.  Good for her.  Do we have to feel collective sorrow and make lames excuses? No.  I live in the real world. 

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Cause Wilbur knows so much about the twisties, a word that was described by an Olympic gymnast. She is a gold medal holder.  

I am coining that word for aviation. We call it spacial disorientation perhaps caused by vertigo but "twisties" is so much more fun. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It isn't total bullshit at all.  Grow the fuck up and stop making excuses.  People accept the risk they know they are predisposed to.  In her case, she walked away and she maintains it is the right thing to do.  Good for her.  Do we have to feel collective sorrow and make lames excuses? No.  I live in the real world. 

It is really easy to judge her from your keyboard, I guess. 

You tell me to grow up.  What the hell.  Me having an opinion does not make me immature.  You don;t have to resort to insults to make your point.  

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Do we have to feel collective sorrow

No but it becomes a serious topic of interest.  Had she been the 3rd member of the Latvian team you would have never heard about it.  We haven't heard anything about lessor competitors injuries or having to pull out of competition.  She is not only the reigning champion on several levela, she is considered by most, the very best ever.  That's why it is news.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

No but it becomes a serious topic of interest.  Had she been the 3rd member of the Latvian team you would have never heard about it.  We haven't heard anything about lessor competitors injuries or having to pull out of competition.  She is not only the reigning champion on several levela, she is considered by most, the very best ever.  That's why it is news.

Of course, but like a million others, she had an "event" and withdrew.  I am good with that.  To use the poor aviation analogy, we are bound by regulation (law) to do the same.  So yes cupcake, Wilbur does know all about human performance, lucky for the traveling public. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is really easy to judge her from your keyboard, I guess. 

You tell me to grow up.  What the hell.  Me having an opinion does not make me immature.  You don;t have to resort to insults to make your point.  

It is really easy to judge her by her actions which is really how we should judge everyone.  I have no problem at all with her decision.  I don't buy the whole sympathetic "you can't do a summersault" argument.  That is "absolute bullshit".  What I said was not. 

16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I feel for her, I really do.  I just think the timing of this sucks and she really should have gone out and did her routine

oxymoron.  If you "feel for her" you would let HER decide, instead of demanding that she provide your sports entertainment no matter what mental or physical damage she endures.

For years she has demonstrated extreme mental and physical toughness, time after time.  Pulling herself out of a chance to win a gold medal because for whatever reason why would hurt the team's chances is possibly the toughest of all.

"so maybe this was mis-characterized from the outset."  No kidding.  And yet, she's had to endure mountains of criticism based on that mischaracterization.

This whole "Snowflake" accusation for everything every keyboard warrior doesn't want to hear (not aimed at anyone here specifically, a societal ill) just drives me nuts.  

• Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, 12string said:

If you "feel for her" you would let HER decide

But she did decide to train, go to competitions, travel, accept coaching, etc, so she made her choice.  She made those decisions knowing that she would need to perform.  Since we have entered the twisties realm, however, we aren't talking about 'pressure' anymore as the cause of dropping out, but a total lapse of concentration necessary to guarantee her safety.

If it was just dropping out due to just pressure, well, that is just weak, there isn't much else to say about it.  Feel your feelz on your own and compete would be the sensible attitude for almost all sports.  She gets her pass because she could land on her head if she gets it wrong, even though that was the case all along.  It just seems like a higher chance of possibility if you have a case of the yips.

While I am a bit more understanding of it since reading the explanation, I am still torn on this.  Scale down the difficulty, get laid, meditate, do whatever you need to do to get your head right and at least try is what most athletes would do, and it is what most athletes relate to.  Maybe she did all that already, who knows?

I think one reason I'm sympathetic to her is she's been such a warrior in the past.  She has competed on broken bones(landing on a broken foot)  and she competed in severe pain after spending the night in the hospital with kidney stones.  She's not the type to just quit because she's experiencing some pain or has nerves. 

I've heard others talk about the fall in the vault and she was lucky to land on her knees.  For whatever mental block, she lost it during the vault and could have just as easily ended up breaking her neck.  Even though she could "get it together' hundreds of other times, she didn't feel she could at that moment and decided not to risk her safety.  Gymnasts have been paralyzed for landing wrong  and she decided it wasn't worth it.  Disappointing for fans who wanted to see her, but it is her call.  

I also think she might not have made that decision 4 years ago, but she really doesn't have anything to prove to be a legend in gymnastics.  I think she's also learned that the Federation is not looking out for her.  She's done battle with them many times over the sex scandal, and her view that they've failed to properly investigate who else knew or should have known and develop protections for the athletes.   I think competing as an adult has helped her  be able to speak up and make the decision she thought was right for herself and her team.

Her teammates who know her the best have been solid in their support.  And even when she didn't compete, she was in the stands or on the sidelines cheering them on.  I think she truly felt that allowing the alternates to compete in the team event gave them a better chance to medal, and that if she had stayed in and totally bombed an event, she'd have cost them any medal at all.

Simone has been the cash cow that kept the sponsors supporting the gymnastics federation despite the scandal that almost saw the federation disbanded.  She has raised more money for them than they have ever spent on her.  She pays for her own coaching, although the Federation pays travel expenses for events and mandatory "team camps" (although she still pays for her coaches time at events) . And despite the team event likely being one of the worst nights of her life, she had the poise to go to the press conference and answer all the questions - which is more than the Federation President did.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Simone will be /is in hall of fame for world gymnastics...because she gave to the gymnastics competitive sport, 2 unique, powerful (and dangerous) maneouvres never done before. (which each were one of those in-flight airborne twists and flips). 

As a family member who has watched some else in the family, do airborne stuff without any mechanical aid nor much protection, it can be simultaneously awe-inspiring and heart-stopping.

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Screw the haters.  They likely can't even do a cartwheel.

People have differing opinions, isn't a reason to label them haters.  I realize that is common practice but it, like the "cartwheel comment" are really childish behaviour.

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Total bullshit.

Again, an opinion that differs from yours doesn't make it "total bullshit".  Comparing the results of an aircraft accident to those of a gym accident really isn't valid. 

You don't think her manuevers are amazing and dangerous?

I never even commented on her routine so you are just projecting here. 

t is really easy to judge her from your keyboard, I guess. 

Another jab.  You really can't create a happy discourse with any of the above comments and when you take jabs at people, expect them back. 

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I will say, this thread is sort of why I don't like the Olympics (or many "major" sporing events).  Good folks getting worked up over a big "nothing burger" :(

Watching it on Peacock is a nightmare, too.  I will watch some live with the gf this weekend at her place, but that is pretty much it for me unless something really good is coming up.