Haluski - yum!

MickinMD

With leftover cabbage and past use-by date bacon, I decided to make Haluski, which a cousin had been recommending: fried cabbage and onion with cooked egg noodles mixed in, often made with bacon.

The egg noodles do not overwhelm the dish, so the carbs stay low enough for my to enjoy without my diabetic's blood glucose soaring.  My blood glucose was a great 110 mg/dL 75 min. after eating about a 12 oz. lunch of it.

I looked over a bunch of online recipes and guessed the proportions.  Next time, a bigger head of cabbage or a little less egg noodles (5-6 oz. instead of 8 oz.) would be a better balance, but this still worked out to make a very tasty lunch:

Polish Haluski

aka Haluszki, Lazanki (usually made with Italian Pasta), Slovak Halusky

Mickey’s 1st Attempt

20210728_152709_impr_900p.jpg.2f5f4afeb0931c45ea30b3a8b58af539.jpg

I had made golabki the day before and had bought a huge head of cabbage (only ones available in store) and had what amounted to a semi-cooked small head remaining.

I also had an unopened pound of bacon left, slightly past its use-by date.

So this is what I did and it tasted very good - though either more cabbage or less noodle next time.

Next time, I’m going to add a 6.5 oz.can of mushroom stems and pieces to fry with the onions and maybe a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes at the end of cooking.

Ingredients

1 lb bacon

Small head of semi-cooked cabbage

1 medium-large onion

8 oz (6 oz better?) extra wide egg noodles

3 tbsp butter

1/2 tbsp garlic powder

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Next time:

1 6.5 oz. can mushroom stems and pieces

Possible: 1 14.5 oz can diced (or fresh) tomatoes

Directions

1. Cut cabbage into 1 - 1 1/2 inch squares (some shred it).

2. The standard recipe fries the cabbage “until tender” and does NOT boil the cut cabbage first. I effectively boiled it for about 15 minutes, then drained and set it aside.

3. Cut an onion into bite sized pieces (cut into 1/4” or less-thick slices then in half, then in thirds).

4. Fry bacon at least until it begins to turn brown, stirring occasionally.

5. Add onion and fry until it turns translucent.

6. With slotted spoon, move bacon and onion into a separate container, keeping as much bacon grease as possible in the pan to fry the cabbage.

7. Add 3 tbsp butter to give the cabbage enough liquid to fry in and add to the taste.

8. Add the drained cabbage to the butter and bacon grease, add 4 tbsp water (needed for it to get hot before frying in grease?) and fry on low flame for 20 min or until edges begin to turn brown.

9. While cabbage is frying, cook the egg noodles to al-dente according to directions.

10. add the bacon and onion back into frying pan with the cabbage.

11. Drain and add cooked egg noodles

12. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and stir.

13. Continue to fry for a couple minutes to insure all it hot.

• Heart 1