Do you ever confuse Demarcate with Delineate?

Dottleshead

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

me neither, but I don't recall using either in a sentence

This ^^^

Then this probably won't help.   https://comparewords.com/delineate/demarcate 

Who comes up with this crap??

Example Sentences:

Immunofluorescence and immunoelectronmicroscopy experiments demonstrated that while tight junctions demarcate PAS-O distribution in confluent cultures, apical polarity could be established at low culture densities when cells could not form tight junctions with neighboring cells.

The extent of the infectious process was limited, however, because the life span of the cultures was not significantly shortened, the yields of infectious virus per immunofluorescent cell were at all times low, and most infected cells contained only a few well-delineated small masses of antigen, suggestive of an abortive infection.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

I can't recall using "delineate" in a sentence.

When I type "delineate" into a search box, the Google dictionary says "describe or portray (something) precisely."

That is WRONG, since the word "precisely" technically means "repeatably the same."

The Miriam- Webster dictionary says, "to describe, portray, or set forth with accuracy or in detail."

That is correct.  Accuracy means "correct," precise just means "repeatable."

Did I delineate that well enough to demarcate the limits between accuracy and precision?

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

When I type "delineate" into a search box, the Google dictionary says "describe or portray (something) precisely."

That is WRONG, since the word "precisely" technically means "repeatably the same."

You are WRONG because you are picking and choosing and misapplying one of multiple meanings of a word.

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

This ^^^

Then this probably won't help.   https://comparewords.com/delineate/demarcate 

Who comes up with this crap??

Example Sentences:

Immunofluorescence and immunoelectronmicroscopy experiments demonstrated that while tight junctions demarcate PAS-O distribution in confluent cultures, apical polarity could be established at low culture densities when cells could not form tight junctions with neighboring cells.

The extent of the infectious process was limited, however, because the life span of the cultures was not significantly shortened, the yields of infectious virus per immunofluorescent cell were at all times low, and most infected cells contained only a few well-delineated small masses of antigen, suggestive of an abortive infection.

tenor.gif?itemid=9277445&f=1&nofb=1

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

You are WRONG because you are picking and choosing and misapplying one of multiple meanings of a word.

Wikipedia: In a set of measurements, accuracy is closeness of the measurements to a specific value, while precision is the closeness of the measurements to each other.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Wikipedia: In a set of measurements, accuracy is closeness of the measurements to a specific value, while precision is the closeness of the measurements to each other.

"describe or portray (something) precisely." Is not measurement.  It is textual.  To describe something precisely and to measure something precisely are 2 different things.  You are arguing with Google Dic. in the context of words not science.

I think of these terms every time we discuss developers working off of one main branch instead of multiple parallel branches that get merged later in the release cycle.  If devs use one branch to check in changes, where do we draw the line on what gets tested and what doesn't?  You impose deadlines but I have yet to work in my 30 years for an organization that stopped branch checkin's on a hard date.  There's always scope creep and every time that happens, you run the risk of bugs being introduced.  So if the source branch is always changing, where does one delineate or demarcate the software build and test cycle?  True the same thing can happen on a smaller, parallel branch but those risks are self-contained.  And yet dealing with multiple branches in parallel is a PITA too and does come at a price.   But I digress. 

Speaking of digressions, do you ever get digress and regress confused?

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Now thanks to this thread I am getting demarcate confused with Democrat. Thanks, Dottles.

Yeah.... when I first read misread the title to the thread I read 'Democrat' and I was guessing how many minutes before the thread would be deleted. 

Then I got confused....    It doesn't take much to do that....

• Hugs 1