Tell me about your storage areas

Airehead

We have a huge primary closet in our bedroom, a super small closet in the guest bedroom and an adorably small linen closet.

There is shelving in our garage that is very tidy.  My husband is a very organized and clean person.  I am a bigger slob than he is.

For additional storage we also have that 40' storage container.  That should house anything that won't fit in the garage/house. The box is a disaster, but will be made more tidy after we unload it and get settled. It was hard to pack it in an organized way, as we had to shover everything in this long continer.  

• Heart 1

We have 2 of those plastic 4 row storage shelf things  in the garage where most of our crap resides. Next to the shelves is a work bench where more crap goes.  On the other side of the garage I have an old bookcase where many shoes go. On top of that is two plastic bins where riding gear goes.

Then there are bikes, lots & lots of them. 4 hang upside down from wooden hooks I screwed into the joists, 4 are on the ground. 

Our closets are pretty well organized since the remodel.

Two car garage full of stuff. Jeep parts, wheels and tires, toolboxes, shovels, rakes, and implements of destruction. Tire mounting machine in need of refurbishment. 
Basement has tubs of holiday decorations in one corner. A pantry for canned and dry goods. Three bicycles on a two bicycle tree. 
Laundry room has the chest freezer, canning and brewing supplies and equipment. 

• Heart 2

I have lots of shelves, hooks, racks, tubs for materials.  Unfortunately I have even more stuff than fits on those.

I walked into a supply room at work yesterday, our new president was in there. aghast at the disarray.  I noted my agreement, with an example about $thousands I've spent recently buying parts that were probably in there.  We had an hour long discussion about how many dollars and hours are lost because no one wants to spend time staying organized.  

I think I may soon have a new job description.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Storage is primarily in the garage. Three car, with both cars parked inside. The third is a kids toys, lawn equipment, and workbench semi-orchestrated disaster. 

We have a mix of shelving units, and cabinets (both floor and wall) in the third car space. The bulk of the nicely organized things are in two hanging/ceiling mounted shelves/platforms. Those are suspended above the cars and work quite nicely. I keep planning on doing something similar for the other side.

• Heart 1

The garage has peg boards that were put up by the prior owner.  I use them for things like garden tools and snow shovels.  Then there is the junk room where non lawn things are stored, including stacks of books I'll read some day.   You don't want to know about the closets.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

In your garage, shed or basement, do you use peg board?  High tech racks? Hooks? Shelving units?

Are you tidy or is your space in disarray? 

I use peg boards and shelving units.  My current basement is empty now and will mostly stay that way until I paint/waterproof the walls with DRYLOK.

• Heart 1

WoJSTL puts up 6 Christmas trees and various things for other holidays. The attic is hers.

We have a nice shed for garden stuff plus a couple of Christmas trees and some bicycle parts.

The garage is nicely set up with pegboards, shelves, cabinets, workbench, tool chests, plus hooks in the ceiling for 5 bicycles. We still can get both cars into the garage.

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Airehead said:

In your garage, shed or basement, do you use peg board?  High tech racks? Hooks? Shelving units?

Are you tidy or is your space in disarray? 

Sometimes, disarray is the most efficient form of storage. :) 

That said, I have a lot of shelves and everything has a place.  My garden shed though.... eek. 

• Awesome 1

I converted my very organized utility closet to a beverage niche, so mr. put up a French cleat system for organizing cleaning supplies in the garage. I love it. 
In the garage he also built a workbench, and uses a pegboard, tool boxes, and shelves for his garage tools and for bikes, equipment and bike tools. 
We use the space between the ceiling and roof to store Christmas decorations, childhood memorabilia, and paperwork for taxes in bankers boxes and plastic tubs with lids. mr. installed fold-away stairs to access that space a few years ago. We used to set up a ladder and push aside a piece of plywood to get into the opening, but the stairs are much easier, more stable, and they cover the access to that area. 
My closets are old and everything is just stacked.  Everything has its place, and I know where everything is, but there are no organizers. Just shelves and a metal bar for hanging stuff. 

• Heart 1

I have several. We use peg board in all of them. 
Garage has two. The one in back holds tools, the one inside the garage houses the freezer, and random stuff.  There are two in the basement. A mechanical room with shelving, and the storage room that holds Christmas accouterments and the like. 

• Heart 1

I doubt alot of you would be happy with the amount of storage space I get in total and rapidly fill up.  For 778 ft. condo with storage locker. I don't put anything out in the balcony. It gets very windy, so not a good idea. 

I admire people who have managed to downsize from a house to condo space. It was hard on them, but they did it. It helps to have children..if they want the stuff. 

• Heart 1

Despite a garage, attic and 3 bedrooms doubling for other purchases…rent a 5x10 climate controlled (unlike attic and garage) storage unit. 90% kids stuff they left behind. Wife was going to go through it and throw out. To make her happy, lugged a carload of boxes home so as she was looking at the contents, intent on throwing out…reminded her of her mother throwing out her treasured lp’s and 45s plus brother’s treasured baseball cards (including rookie year Mickey Mantle). Took them back to storage, then loaded the car up for trip to CT - son now has basement and attic.

We use it for storage boxes with seasonal decorations, some of which wouldn’t fare well in attic (discovering melted candles next season). Also grandkids car seat, wagon, etc for next time they visit. While I keep the third backup version harddrives off site there, currently also storing computers and monitors there while away from home for extended periods (like now). 

this is another industry that gives great “intro” rates, so about every 2 or 3 years…they price themself out of competition and I move. While always get a 5x10, this last one - advertised as such - was actually 4x10, and noticed only when I moved with contents closer to the door. Complained, but they minimized with measurements are “approximate”. Excuse me, but 20% less isn’t approximate. Oh well, 47/mo is a lot cheaper that the 100+/mo that the other escalated to. Next time will measure.