1st Ever Current Tornado Warning for me - NOW!

MickinMD

There's a "radar" tornado warning and the possible hail and tornado threat right now is about 20 miles WNW of me and moving at 25 mph in my direction - they're saying it's heading toward "Brooklyn Park" - that's me - but the box on the TV map has moved south of Brooklyn Park.

The tornado warning lasts 20 more minutes but now their saying it will take more than 20 minutes to get to me.

We NEVER got tornado warnings before the 2000's and maybe wind tore the roofs of 2-3 houses once a decade.

Now I'm waiting for people to say we're getting because Musk and Bezos are messing around with space.

• Hugs 1

Stay safe.  We are the track of the same all nighter thunderstorms but they don't think the tornadoes will get this far.  It's just starting to rain here and they tell us it could be a street flooding trees down set of thunderstorms for the next 12 hours.  The radar shows the leading edge of the storm coming up from your place to here.

P.S. The hail track is moving along a line that's passing about 10 miles south of me.

They are listing times when the "rotation" will get to various places, but most of the locations listed will get it AFTER the tornado warning is over!

The TV news, famous for mega-exaggeration, is now saying, "oddly enough" there are no reports of damage.

• Heart 1

P.P.S.  The arrow of expected direction is no longer pointing at me, it's now about 10 miles to the south.

They are reporting no delays in takeoffs and landings at BWI Airport, which is closer to the rotation than I am!

It's 5:22 pm, the warning ends at 5:30, Glen Burnie is listed as being 16 minutes away from the radar rotation, but they're warning Glen Burnie to get in their basements!

One day we're going to get something really serious and people will think it's just more exaggeration by the TV News.

• Heart 1

5:30 pm. The Weather Service has allowed the Tornado Warning to expire for my County.  Much ado about little.  Another cell downed some trees in the D.C. suburb of Silver Spring, MD.

They're still talking about 60 mph winds, but the center of the cell is passing to my south and it's not windy here - knock on wood.

43 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

P.P.S.  The arrow of expected direction is no longer pointing at me, it's now about 10 miles to the south.

They are reporting no delays in takeoffs and landings at BWI Airport, which is closer to the rotation than I am!

It's 5:22 pm, the warning ends at 5:30, Glen Burnie is listed as being 16 minutes away from the radar rotation, but they're warning Glen Burnie to get in their basements!

One day we're going to get something really serious and people will think it's just more exaggeration by the TV News.

Similar here.  The storm is now projected to mostly go to the south of CT.  It's rapidly becoming a non event.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, MickinMD said:

"radar" tornado

I snapped this screen shot from Radar Scope a few nights ago. This was a couple hours north of me. The green/red area is rotation, on a trailing edge of a storm. This is using velocity scope, where green is headed toward the radar, and red is headed away. The red box is the tornado warning area. Technically a tornado is when the funnel touches the ground, but the potential is there.

image.thumb.png.0ded2aab5a4eacacbbfadf3d594bfcfc.png