I am tired of high-maintenance things, from now on everything goes in the dishwasher!

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Low or no maintenance is the Holy Grail for me.  A cow-orker said he always washes all his clothes in warm water, and if some can;t take it, eff em. :D

I usually wash all in cold, but now I take them to the nice Chinese laundry place down the block one day and pick them up the next, all clean.

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

If it can't survive the dishwasher, it isn't meant to survive.

My mother’s mantra. For what it is worth both Gorham silver, and Lenox China can hold up to decades of dishwasher abuse. Wood handle kitchen knives, not so much. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

@Randomguy. what do you currently have that doesnt go in the dishwasher?

Some older plastic bowls and a salad spinner and some other odds and ends, plus some old plastic storage containers.  I am not sure about the salad spinner, I will have to see if that is safe because it would cost a bit to replace.

So far, all other things seem to be holding up in the dishwasher except one mug that RO made me when she was three.  The dishwasher has stripped about half the color from it.  I did secure a promise of a repaint AND another mug from her, so that is nice.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I do all cold too.  Or hot for whites.

It is interesting to see Tide pushing for no more "hot" nonsense.  I can't recall using "hot" for wash in a decade or more.  My mantra is "warm" for everything.  No hot, no cold.  Just load and go.

With the dishwasher, I like to stick to "normal" stuff still.  The had washing some stuff is still fine with me, but as the dishwasher approaches a full load, I do throw in a lot of other stuff that I would normally hand wash just to get it over the threshold to a full load.

I've got a dishwasher for the first time in my life, though my habit is to hand wash everything still in the sink in the morning before breakfast to avoid becoming too lazy.  I try to dirty only one of each dish, bowl, utensil, etc. before I clean it, so I never have a lot to clean unless I'm feeding guests.

My sister was looking at the three big, heavy grates that run the length of my new gas range, similar to hers, and pointed out that a dishwasher is the perfect way to clean them.  So the dishwasher will get at least semi-regular use.

20210502_134552_900p.jpg.fb9e16821c605fcc36019295568e1924.jpg

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Some older plastic bowls and a salad spinner and some other odds and ends, plus some old plastic storage containers.  I am not sure about the salad spinner, I will have to see if that is safe because it would cost a bit to replace.

So far, all other things seem to be holding up in the dishwasher except one mug that RO made me when she was three.  The dishwasher has stripped about half the color from it.  I did secure a promise of a repaint AND another mug from her, so that is nice.

I wash all kinds of plastic in the dishwasher.  Just use regular wash and turn off the dry cycle.  It wastes too much energy anyway.  Just let those dishes drip dry in there.

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Allen said:

My mother’s mantra. For what it is worth both Gorham silver, and Lenox China can hold up to decades of dishwasher abuse. Wood handle kitchen knives, not so much. 

Wrenches, sockets, snd screwdrivers also do rather well in the dishwasher.