I slightly miss my metal roof

Dirtyhip

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The sound of rain hitting the metal roof was so nice.  We have metal gutters, so I still hear the rain.  It's more of a drippy sound.  I like the sound of the drips.

We had loud thunder and some heavy rain a bit ago.

My walls and upstairs ceiling are so much better insulated than before that I don't hear the rain like I used to and don't hear the UPS guy putting packages a foot from my front storm door.  The quiet is sometimes good and sometimes strange.  We had a heavy thunderstorm at the the time I posted we had a tornado warning (none occurred) but didn't realize it until I noticed raindrops on the window - the thunder didn't sound that close.

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The sound of rain hitting the metal roof was so nice.  We have metal gutters, so I still hear the rain.  It's more of a drippy sound.  I like the sound of the drips.

We had loud thunder and some heavy rain a bit ago.

I was a little surprised you didn’t get a metal roof.

18 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My walls and upstairs ceiling are so much better insulated than before that I don't hear the rain like I used to and don't hear the UPS guy putting packages a foot from my front storm door.  The quiet is sometimes good and sometimes strange.  We had a heavy thunderstorm at the the time I posted we had a tornado warning (none occurred) but didn't realize it until I noticed raindrops on the window - the thunder didn't sound that close.

Now you need a weather radio for alerts.  

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I was a little surprised you didn’t get a metal roof.

They are not that great.  The thing with metal roofs is the fact that when you punch a hole in metal it must be caulked every year or so.  They are prone to leaks where the metal meets your vent pipes.   Comp is much easier to mold around these corners.  Also, cheaper.  There were multiple reasons.  

38 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

They are not that great.  The thing with metal roofs is the fact that when you punch a hole in metal it must be caulked every year or so.  They are prone to leaks where the metal meets your vent pipes.   Comp is much easier to mold around these corners.  Also, cheaper.  There were multiple reasons.  

There are better grades of metal roofing and different length of screws to choose from to help with some of the problems, but like you we decided to go with composite when we replaced the shakes.

29 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

There are better grades of metal roofing and different length of screws to choose from to help with some of the problems, but like you we decided to go with composite when we replaced the shakes.

The way the contractors exlained it to me is that a metal roof is actually more maintenance.  Thye said you have to get up there at least once every couple of years to check where the metal meets the vent pipes.  They told me that comp is actually better in regards to maintenance.  Of course, the snow doesn't shed like a metal roof.  I think some heat tape will be great in that regard to prevent an ice dam.