Hotels beat B&Bs

Allen

I've never booked one, but family members have. They've all had a good experience and I think it's especially good if you're staying with kids and the extra room is good.  They can also be nice when you want a location where there aren't as many hotels.   But they do involve more personal interaction and dealing with individuals and there may be more unique requirements (such as putting out the garbage).  If I'm traveling by myself, I find an established hotel more comforting.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I've never booked one, but family members have. They've all had a good experience and I think it's especially good if you're staying with kids and the extra room is good.  They can also be nice when you want a location where there aren't as many hotels.   But they do involve more personal interaction and dealing with individuals and there may be more unique requirements (such as putting out the garbage).  If I'm traveling by myself, I find an established hotel more comforting.

We've been doing large homes for Thanksgiving in recent years - usually at least 6, but up to 10 bedrooms and with lots of space to play games, hang out, watch football, cook, etc..  My mom started complaining about hosting T-day, and it made sense to just pick a centrally located place for family, and then not have anyone having their space invaded for days (and clean-up as well).

Other than that, I tend to choose hotels way before Airbnb or similar.  Traditional BnBs? Yep, still like them.  Airbnb? Not as much.

• Heart 1

Just before Covid hit we rented an AB&B in Palm Springs for my wife’s 50th.  We catered dinner (through my restaurant owner sister) & had a big surprise dinner party for her with all our family. 

The previous company I worked for also rented a big ass house AB&B and we had our company meetings there.  The men stayed in a hotel but the wimmins all stayed in the house. 

So both of my experiences with AB&B went well.

• Heart 1

Had my share of b 'n b's and hotels. I was the person that tended to choose accommodation vs. dearie planning cycling trip details or even when internationally, he was figuring out train schedules. He was less willing to try b 'n B's because he just wanted greater freedom in general to come and go, not to be held down to  a specific time for breakfast, etc.

At a chain hotel it is nice to have everything available in the room and liked business computer stations to surf around for 1-2 around.  I was never  other common amenities user...I never used the exercise room ...and I can't swim. So those amenities aren't critical to me.  

We've had some incredible B 'n B experiences...a house that was constructed into the side of hill in Vermont, a simple place where in the morning there was an incredible breakfast buffet, etc. The best hosts are those who are fairly new to B 'n B hosting and hence, rooms are fresh, etc. 

When travelling solo, prefer a hotel in certain locations in a city. My first business trip was actually the first time I had ever stayed at a 5 star hotel. I was 24 yrs. old. I was in awe of the fluffy bathrobes, super thick towels.  I came from a poor family and we never travelled overnight when I grew up.  Never.