As Far As I Can Tell, The Olympics Are As Boring As Ever :(

Razors Edge

...and if I hear another announcer talk about a specific individual "wanting" or "dreaming" of gold, I think it will make my head explode.  If you are at the Olympics and you DON'T want or dream of gold, you really ought to let someone who does have your spot. 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

like to talk

Yeah.  But sooooooo annoying. EVERYONE wants to win - that's why they are competing - and just focusing on the one or two favorites and saying that they are dreaming of gold is annoying as heck to me.  But I guess that's what most folks want to hear, so they say it.

• Heart 1

I'm also a little tired of the personal interest stories that insult my intelligence.  I get through them thinking the athlete's family and friends are probably really thrilled.

I also found it so artificial when watching the men's synchronized diving, taking place in Tokyo, Japan, where the German team had warmup shirts reading their country's name in English, "Germany," instead of Deutschland or in Japanese characters.  It's become an American Sports Network paid-for event where a lot of extra, unnecessary sports have been crammed-in like "Street Skateboarding."  What's next, stick-street baseball?  Gaza-style damaged courtyard soccer?

I do enjoy watching the main Olympic events.

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

You do have a mute button, as well as, an on/off switch. Some people!

I was going to mention it would be nice to watch some stuff with the mute button!  But the darn schizo-jumping from event to event is pretty annoying especially as much is pre-recorded coverage anyway.  I get they are trying to maximize the "exciting" stuff, but still not optimal viewing for my type of watching.

16 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

where the German team had warmup shirts reading their country's name in English, "Germany," instead of Deutschland or in Japanese characters.

Might have something to do with English being the international common tongue.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I was going to mention it would be nice to watch some stuff with the mute button! 

WoKzoo has had no interest in the Olympics this time.  I'm in the other room with the light off watching swimming finals with the mute on and listening to some audible stuff on the phone.  She walks past the room, stops, comes in, looks at the TV, shakes her head, grabs the remote off the coffee table, and turns the TV off.  What the heck? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

WoKzoo has had no interest in the Olympics this time.  I'm in the other room with the light off watching swimming finals with the mute on and listening to some audible stuff on the phone.  She walks past the room, stops, comes in, looks at the TV, shakes her head, grabs the remote off the coffee table, and turns the TV off.  What the heck? 

Swimming is particularly unexciting. :(

I do look forward to the track stuff.  That is always fun.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah.  But sooooooo annoying. EVERYONE wants to win - that's why they are competing - and just focusing on the one or two favorites and saying that they are dreaming of gold is annoying as heck to me.  But I guess that's what most folks want to hear, so they say it.

Just as in football and cycling broadcasts, I really do not want to know about the sob story of the 5th grade hangnail they suffered or any other damn trumped up overly-dramatized-with-sad-inflection and tinkly piano music story meant to be more compelling than the event itself.  Wtf cares?  Less bs, more event.  Tell more about the sport and less about the young athlete being so scared of the dark that they became chronic bedwetters like Kzoo.

41 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm also a little tired of the personal interest stories that insult my intelligence.  I get through them thinking the athlete's family and friends are probably really thrilled.

I also found it so artificial when watching the men's synchronized diving, taking place in Tokyo, Japan, where the German team had warmup shirts reading their country's name in English, "Germany," instead of Deutschland or in Japanese characters.  It's become an American Sports Network paid-for event where a lot of extra, unnecessary sports have been crammed-in like "Street Skateboarding."  What's next, stick-street baseball?  Gaza-style damaged courtyard soccer?

Fuckers.

I don't think synchronized diving should be a sport.  We absolutely know it is for divers that couldn't cut it in individual events.  No thanks.

• Sad 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Fuckers.

I don't think synchronized diving should be a sport.  We absolutely know it is for divers that couldn't cut it in individual events.  No thanks.

Sports that are "judged" are challenging in many respects.  I haven't been watching the Commies this year, but besides heir normal cheating/doping, how has their scoring been this year?

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Tell more about the sport and less about the young athlete being so scared of the dark that they became chronic bedwetters like Kzoo.

Hey, I don't do it every night.  'Chronic' is a bit strong.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The skateboarding is awesome. I'm looking forward to the park competition.

The 3x3 basketball is great too. Non-stop action. 

Sport climbing should be cool too. 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Why can't we just talk about the positives, and forget about all the negatives. Just like some say about the commentators, some here appear to just like to 'hear themselves talk'!:whistle:

Bam! well said.

Don't like it, turn it off or watch online with no commentary. 

I've been impressed with the sports I've seen so far.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Why can't we just talk about the positives,

That's all the announcers do!  It becomes tiresome after a while.  Of course, then the discussion of Biles' and her "quitting" or whatever drives it the other way, and too becomes tiresome.  I just like seeing the competition, and some events lend themselves to being watched on TV, some are better in person, and some are simply fun to actively compete in and are boring no matter how viewed (cornhole!).

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That's all the blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,... clickty clack of the keyboard

16 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

some here appear to just like to 'hear themselves talk'!:whistle:

When Sheep's right, he's right.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

More or less than normal Olympics?

More. Usually NBC shows the big sports like gymnastics and just highlights of the lesser known sports. I've seen full competition of archery, BMX, badminton, rowing, kayak, softball, triathlon, cycling, skateboarding, soccer, basketball, 3x3, swimming, volleyball, fencing, and beach volleyball. 

USA vs Argentina beach volleyball was a great match. USA vs ROC 3x3 was great too. Super exciting game. No timeouts, just play. They only stop for fouls. 10 minute game with a short shot clock. 

I have not seen a human interest story yet. Just sports and interviews.

• Awesome 2

38 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I've always enjoyed the track and field events.  Most of the other stuff doesn't interest me much.  Not even the cycling.

I saw the highlights of the mountain bike cross country event.  The course looked way more technical than I would have thought!

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sports that are "judged" are challenging in many respects.  

Yeah, that is a tough one to classify as sport.  I like sports where you lift the most, run the fastest, jump the highest, or defeat your opponent one on one against each other rather than taking turns and getting judged.  Judging just adds a whole host of variables and ways to favor one country or athlete over another.  I haven't seen much of this years events, but the judging that I have seen seems to be as objective as possible so far.

36 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

In the original olympics, the athletes competed in the nude.  That would probably boost TV ratings through the roof!

I dunno, I am put off by many of the "chicks", as they seem more like men than women in lots of ways.  As discussed in the other thread, most of the women are not pervable in any way.

29 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Agree.  Also, golf.  How is golf an Olympic event?  I'm not sure it is even a "sport".  It's a game.  What's next?  Jeopardy! in the Olympics?

Yeah, golf.  You gotta have olympics you can fall asleep to, right?

21 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

some here appear to just like to 'hear themselves talk'!:whistle:

That is because no one listens to me in real life.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

Suni Lee has got to be the first Hmong athlete to win gold. How cool is that?

It is.  I think a Filipino finally won a gold too?  I don't think I got any coverage of the Filipino (in detail, at least), but those are neat stories.

I've been busy the past week and haven't really been able to explore the coverage.  I've mainly stuck to the NBC broadcast in prime time which is designed to be the sampler platter for the casual viewer.  Friends of mine who were big gymnastics fans were watching a myriad of streaming options  - one that followed a particular country and others that followed particular apparatus.   Different streams had different commentators or none at all.   You might get a highlight of an event like cycling on the main show, but one of the affiliated channels is showing the whole race.

I have cable and peacock premium comes with my cable, but I haven't had time to figure out all the options available.