Are you obsessed with good dental health?

Road Runner

I have been for the past several years.  I have dental care routines that might be a bit on the obsessive or even the excessive side.  It has taken over as my main hobby which use to be riding a bicycle.  I wasn't always like this; just the opposite really.  But things change as we age, even our obsessions.

When I was at the dentist's office two days ago, she said something like, "Your gums are unbelievable.  When I poke them while examining the area around your crowns, they don't bleed.  Amazing.  Unheard of, even.  Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!"  She has said similar things in the past.  When I got home, I started to wonder why she never actually asks me exactly what I am doing.  If a scientist, or a dentist even, sees something unusual, shouldn't they be interested in determining the root cause?

As Alan Harper says, "The price of healthy gums is eternal vigilance".  :)

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I have been for the past several years.  I have dental care routines that might be a bit on the obsessive or even the excessive side.  It has taken over as my main hobby which use to be riding a bicycle.  I wasn't always like this; just the opposite really.  But things change as we age, even our obsessions.

When I was at the dentist's office two days ago, she said something like, "Your gums are unbelievable.  When I poke them while examining the area around your crowns, they don't bleed.  Amazing.  Unheard of, even.  Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!"  She has said similar things in the past.  When I got home, I started to wonder why she never actually asks me exactly what I am doing.  If a scientist, or a dentist even, sees something unusual, shouldn't they be interested in determining the root cause?

Goode pointe and congrats, but,

1) Who the flock is Alan Harper?

2) Why would the area around the crowns be more susceptible or different than other areas?

3) Can't believe I almost forgot this.  Is she hot? Married?  If not married, did you ask her oot? :D

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

Goode pointe and congrats, but,

1) Who the flock is Alan Harper?

2) Why would the area around the crowns be more susceptible or different than other areas?

1)  You must be kidding...

2)  Not more susceptible; it's just part of her examination of the gums at the crowns.  It's a dentite thing, I guess. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Apparently not as much as your obsession with Alan Harper.    :)

In the early episodes, Alan was the sane and responsible one.  His statement regarding gum health is highly respected by all of the intelligent followers of the show. 

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

Getting back to the post topic,

I have a fairly high level of obsession. With good reason. The cancer treatment meant I radiated the right side of my jaw fairly extensively. And of course I have an overly protective dentist. She's been a personal friend for 18 years now. She's been part of a research group studying the affects of radiation on the teeth, way before my cancer too. 

I electric brush, water pik, gargle and floss twice daily as well as sleep with fluoride treatment filled mouthguards twice a week.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I've become more a tad more diligent in past 12 months...once a day before I go to bed I brush, water floss, then thread floss, then brush lightly 2nd time.

In morning I only brush teeth.

My gums are 5x in better shape with these habits. Bleeding is very rare now.

Good dental health ..means saving alot more money long-term too.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I need to begin taking better care of my teeth.  When I saw my dentist for a regular checkup in April - after a root canal and 5th permanent crown earlier in the year - I had no cavities, but she said my teeth and gums were not as clean as usual and she said, "It's no longer "brush your teeth," dental advice is "brush your gums."  I've got flossing stuff, which she demonstrated a few different types, but I've been lazy with it.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

she said, "It's no longer "brush your teeth," dental advice is "brush your gums." 

I literally do this.  I use an ultra soft manual brush and sweep down across my upper gums and teeth.  I brush the same way on the bottom, but starting at the bottom of my gums and sweeping up.  I never brush in the direction of the teeth to the gums.  

14 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've got flossing stuff, which she demonstrated a few different types, but I've been lazy with it.

This is quite normal.  To help combat my laziness and forgetfulness, I keep a floss container at every relaxation point in my house; i.e. next to my recliner, etc.  If it's right there when I am watching TV, I am much more likely to pick it up and use it.

My father was a dentist. 
I brush my teeth regularly, and floss after eating corn on the cob. I like the Listerine mouthwash that tastes somewhere between green tea and PineSol and you are glad to spit out. 

Pop taught dentistry one day a week at Emory. Pass/fail for me picking a dentist is wether or not they were one of Pop’s students. 

• Heart 1

Obsessed, no but I take good care of my teeth. My hygienist said I was scrubbing too vigorously & wearing down my gums.  My daughter (a dental hygienist) said the same so she  got me an electric tooth brush and showed me how to use it. I floss nightly and  haven’t had any issues with me teeth in decades.

• Heart 1