Why has the fish lady abandoned us?

Square Wheels

I continue to wonder why more women don't join here.

And more non-whites. Why is that?  It's not as if there aren't enough English speaking folks, who are incapable of code-switching. ie. speaking in different style/chatting up on different topics that is specific to the social culture of group.

I wish red-faced walrus would chat up. Maybe she's just smarter than all of us. She's got better things to do..ie. practicing on her violin.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

She is too young. :D  Apparently forums are for old people.  :(

We probably do sound old ...certain topics...proliferation of happiness over grand babies, talk about retirement/or close, SS questions, career reflections.  Well, damn some of us still bike and some of us do occasionally post bike topics on Cafe irrelevant chat. We have to remember for 50+ age group, cycling still is not majority of North America.

• Heart 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:13 PM, shootingstar said:

I continue to wonder why more women don't join here.

And more non-whites

It would be refreshing!

The women-folks here really "class" this joint up, while the men suck it towards the gutter.  I gotta think, most guys (or same for the gals) don't pull their better halves into this place - maybe for peace of mind, maybe for "space", maybe for me time, maybe due to differing interests, etc..

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

It would be refreshing!

The women-folks here really "class" this joint up, while the men suck it towards the gutter.  I gotta think, most guys (or same for the gals) don't pull their better halves into this place - maybe for peace of mind, maybe for "space", maybe for me time, maybe due to differing interests, etc..

One would not expect people to pull in their partner in this crazy harmless coffee space. Maybe describe some of the antics..

• 2 years later...
On 8/3/2021 at 3:54 PM, Razors Edge said:

It would be refreshing!

To prevent worlds from colliding!

• Awesome 2

2 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

The ads on this site are over-the-top annoying. They pop-up at the top, in between replies, when selecting a thread to read. It’s nearly impossible to navigate this forum through the ads. 

Google is getting aggressive. 

You should be able to hide them with an ad blocker.

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

The ads on this site are over-the-top annoying. They pop-up at the top, in between replies, when selecting a thread to read. It’s nearly impossible to navigate this forum through the ads. 

I never have any

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I never have any

They go away after purchasing a site membership and if someone has an ad blocker with their web browser. I have neither, and I’m guessing someone new who might be interested in the site content, but doesn’t have an ad blocker, would have a task of figuring out how to navigate when the ads pop-up in front of necessary buttons. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

They go away after purchasing a site membership and if someone has an ad blocker with their web browser. I have neither, and I’m guessing someone new who might be interested in the site content, but doesn’t have an ad blocker, would have a task of figuring out how to navigate when the ads pop-up in front of necessary buttons. 

Good points

1 hour ago, MoseySusan said:

I never post from my phone, but I do browse from it.  For the FIRST TIME EVER, I logged in to the site from my phone, BECAUSE the ads were so obnoxious. Like, literally, UNUSABLE.  Click a topic, have a FULL screen ad take over.  Get past that, and a click or two later ANOTHER ad.

I happily support this site, but thinking about it from a new, non-member perspective, it would be a one and done visit for me.  I don't know if it just behaves that way on a phone, so maybe some folks are fine on a laptop. :dontknow:

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I see no ads, I use adblockplus

Is there a fee? 
I haven’t paid the SW site membership yet. So, I’m thinking if Adblock has a fee, I could pay there and be free of ads here and on recipe sites, my most common uses of the web on my phone. 

• Heart 2