What should the Vikings do with Adrian Peterson

Former member

He has not been proven guilty yet, so what should happen to him before the court makes a decision?

Zero tolerance. Out of the game period. Let him find a job in the service industry or whatever he's good for other than Football. The Marines are hiring. Maybe he can actually do something useful there, although he'd have to step up his class level a lot. Maybe the Army instead.

the NFL can suspend players for simply being accused of a crime

well, there's your answer. if the NFL hasn't suspended him and the Vikes think they have a better chance to win with him, then they are within their right to play him

this is a business afterall

well, there's your answer. if the NFL hasn't suspended him and the Vikes think they have a better chance to win with him, then they are within their right to play him

this is a business afterall

I asked the question to see what people think. It took months for the Roethlisburger thing to play out before he got suspended. Aaron Hernandez hasn't been found guilty of murder yet, and he hasn't been suspended. If he could get out on bail, would you want him playing in the league while waiting for his trial?

the reason it seems like there's no "justice" is because teams and the NFL both have reacted to social media firestorms, which sucks actually

Can you imagine what the reaction to Michael Irvine snorting coke off a hooker's behind would be today?

The trouble with a sports related story is that the sports talking heads on ESPN then think that they are "journalists" when they are really are just there to throw around opinions on the game itself. Then they end up saying all sorts of things and there's no regard for facts, due process, anything

its all just a big horsey ride on their moral high horse

Since the league is a business, its sometimes best to just to neutralize the issue as fast as possible and by any means necessary

Can you imagine what the reaction to Michael Irvine snorting coke off a hooker's behind would be today?

the public would probably care very little. Cocaine isn't a PED(unless you are getting high before the game), so only the religious types would make a stink about that.

Josh Gordon got a 1year suspension for marijuana, and almost everyone wants the rules to be changed.

The league makes it's money because of the public, so public opinion is the only one that matters.

the public would probably care very little. Cocaine isn't a PED(unless you are getting high before the game), so only the religious types would make a stink about that.

dude, you don't remember the media circus around his trial?

he got busted by the Dallas police late at night with hookers and blow (during the season no less) and showed up for court in a full length fur coat looking like a pimp

anyway...

you can discuss this with somebody else now

Adrian Peterson reinstated by Vikings, expected to play at Saints

The team announced Monday that its star halfback will fully participate in meetings and practice this week and is expected to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

The Vikings had deactivated Peterson, 29, for their game against the New England Patriots yesterday, one day after the 2012 NFL MVP answered a warrant in Texas for his arrest on a charge of causing injury to his son by disciplining him with a tree branch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/09/15/adrian-peterson-reinstated-saints-child-negligence-indictment-minnesota/15663317/

Adrian Peterson reinstated by Vikings, expected to play at Saints

The team announced Monday that its star halfback will fully participate in meetings and practice this week and is expected to play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints.

The Vikings had deactivated Peterson, 29, for their game against the New England Patriots yesterday, one day after the 2012 NFL MVP answered a warrant in Texas for his arrest on a charge of causing injury to his son by disciplining him with a tree branch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2014/09/15/adrian-peterson-reinstated-saints-child-negligence-indictment-minnesota/15663317/

I wonder if they will stick to their guns after the media starts applying the "pressure".

I wonder if they will stick to their guns after the media starts applying the "pressure".

I haven't heard any big complaints yet. Personally I think he deserves to be allowed to play until found guilty, but I'm sure many will disagree.

It was nice to see him miss yesterday's game. It made things easy for the Patriots.

I haven't heard any big complaints yet. Personally I think he deserves to be allowed to play until found guilty, but I'm sure many will disagree.

It was nice to see him miss yesterday's game. It made things easy for the Patriots.

Have you seen the photos of what he did to the kid?

It is an interesting situation, everybody is going to be considered insensitive pretty soon.  I predict it is going to turn into some race thing or other, saying that black folks like corporal punishment in general, but that AP was going extreme so's to be the tough love dad that punishes his kids straight and proper and molds them into hardened adult politeness and correctness machines.  I believe he thinks that about himself, probably because it had seemingly worked on him from his dad.

AP is too good to cut outright and make an example of, but what is a team to do?  Lots of pro sports players come from the areas where proper parenting techniques may not be widely bandied about, or extreme measures are taken early on in order to steer kids away from gangs and lives of crime or NJ.  It is improper to assume that black folks are all from the ghetto, though, and there is that, plenty of good black parents to point to as examples as well.  

Also, I mentioned that lots of NFL teams probably have a half-dozen people on the roster who have gone overboard on their kids or by punching up wives and girlfriends that everybody is going to dredge up.  This, to go with another dozen or more with drunk driving arrests and a couple of dozen others with assault/battery kinds of things.  

Too much to suspend every player who might have done something unpleasant in the past, and too much value just to cut.

It is an interesting situation, everybody is going to be considered insensitive pretty soon.  I predict it is going to turn into some race thing or other, saying that black folks like corporal punishment in general, but that AP was going extreme so's to be the tough love dad that punishes his kids straight and proper and molds them into hardened adult politeness and correctness machines.  I believe he thinks that about himself, probably because it had seemingly worked on him from his dad.

AP is too good to cut outright and make an example of, but what is a team to do?  Lots of pro sports players come from the areas where proper parenting techniques may not be widely bandied about, or extreme measures are taken early on in order to steer kids away from gangs and lives of crime or NJ.  It is improper to assume that black folks are all from the ghetto, though, and there is that, plenty of good black parents to point to as examples as well.  

Also, I mentioned that lots of NFL teams probably have a half-dozen people on the roster who have gone overboard on their kids or by punching up wives and girlfriends that everybody is going to dredge up.  This, to go with another dozen or more with drunk driving arrests and a couple of dozen others with assault/battery kinds of things.  

Too much to suspend every player who might have done something unpleasant in the past, and too much value just to cut.

You're putting a lot of thought into this.

Too good? He pretty much singlehandedly blew the Vikings' superbowl run a few years ago. Dude can't hold onto the ball.

That is probably the fair response.  If he were a school teacher or some other pedestrian job and received the same indictment, probably would have been suspended with pay pending the trial.

I agree. It's hard to have him on the team with all of this going on, but until he's found guilty it's hard to cut that much talent from your roster.