Are your window panes clipped or puttied in place?

Wilbur

Just now, Longjohn said:

My middle son was playing with a BB gun and shot out all the windows in the garage. I showed him how to measure for the glass and we went to the hardware store and bought new glass and putty and points. Then I had to go to work. I told him we could finish tomorrow. The next morning I was surprised to see he had replaced the glass all by himself and it looked nice. A couple days later the new glass fell out and broke. Then I found the unopened box of glazer’s points. I asked him why he didn’t use points. He said he didn’t know what they were for. Second try I showed him how to use points and he did a nice job.

I love stories like these.

I was always afraid I'd crack the glass, especially the larger pieces, putting in the points.

Also, why is it when the glazing looked really good, but you decided to give it one final touch to make it perfect, you messed it up and spent another 20 minutes fixing it?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I love stories like these.

I was always afraid I'd crack the glass, especially the larger pieces, putting in the points.

Also, why is it when the glazing looked really good, but you decided to give it one final touch to make it perfect, you messed it up and spent another 20 minutes fixing it?

My dad had a saying he used to use: “That guy was so dumb he did”t know shit from putty............................until his windows all fell out. I miss my dad.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Our windows are sealed units. If we break one, we have to replace the window not the pane. We know this because Einstein broke one in the garage. 

Einstein has made a mess of things recently. We might need to recalculate his value.    :)

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

Not at home to look. Replaced a couple years ago.  The originals were single pane full glass horizontal sliders. One did have a BB ping on it but didn't spread due to plastic sunscreen attached to the glass. They were putty/plastic strip from the outside. So much for security when all you need is a putty knife and remove the entire pane. The new ones, maintained the horizontal slider design and didn't option for the fake grid insert, are double pane, low-e argon filled with the rear pane shatterproof. Better yet, lifetime warranty against breakage...so I don't care. No longer require putting up panels for hurricane prep. Intrusion resistance, marketed by hitting with hammer and while outer glass shatters (warranty Repair) the second pane holds. Fire dept reportedly has special procedure to bypass when confronted with those window. As a side benefit, definitely cut down on noise.

• Heart 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

Those glazing points always sort of mystified me. How the flock DO you put them in withoot breaking the glass?  There is no room to work with. :wacko:

They were easy, just a push tool that slides on the glass.  I used to have one when I worked part time in a window store. 

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

Those glazing points always sort of mystified me. How the flock DO you put them in withoot breaking the glass?  There is no room to work with. :wacko:

Use a large screwdriver to push them in. If the frame is exceptionally hard use a small hammer to tap the screwdriver 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They were easy, just a push tool that slides on the glass.  I used to have one when I worked part time in a window store. 

Ahh, the right tool for the job. I am often torn between that and the fun of macguyvering or performing redneck engineering. :D  Both seem to foster a feeling of rugged self-suffiency.  The ultimate is the fonzie bump to fix things. I love when that works.   

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

The ultimate is the fonzie bump to fix things. I love when that works.   

There was a 2300 volt, 1000 HP motor starter at work that had a sticking contact. It was the electricians job to kick it and the motor would start.

The cover had to be open to kick the right spot, and there would be some arc flash

They preach safety but we did that for at least a year

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Further said:

There was a 2300 volt, 1000 HP motor starter at work that had a sticking contact. It was the electricians job to kick it and the motor would start.

The cover had to be open to kick the right spot, and there would be some arc flash

They preach safety but we did that for at least a year

Did you wear your arc flash suits?  See, everyone gets a kick oot of the fonzie bump. PI. 

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Did you wear your arc flash suits?  See, everyone gets a kick oot of the fonzie bump. PI. 

No.

Actually the arc flash suit brought the whole thing to head. I went to get it (we only had one) and found it laying in a corner of a filthy substation, covered in dirt and bugs. I threw a hissy fit and the motor starting procedure got brought up and they had the suit cleaned, bought a cabinet to keep it in and had the motor starter repaired.

• Awesome 2

Out with the old, in with the new. Looking at the sticker, they were Simonton 9800 Impression, not the Storm Proof. They are very similar in terms of wind impact resistance, however, however, the Impression lacks the extra reinforcement. I am far enough inland that could save $$ vs something built for coastal. Still a grade above their standard 5500 window. (Ignore the junky bike Walmart bike left behind in foreclosed home did lock change on.)

IMG_2467.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My middle son was playing with a BB gun and shot out all the windows in the garage. I showed him how to measure for the glass and we went to the hardware store and bought new glass and putty and points. Then I had to go to work. I told him we could finish tomorrow. The next morning I was surprised to see he had replaced the glass all by himself and it looked nice. A couple days later the new glass fell out and broke. Then I found the unopened box of glazer’s points. I asked him why he didn’t use points. He said he didn’t know what they were for. Second try I showed him how to use points and he did a nice job.

My dad did that with me as a kid when I threw a golf ball through a 6 foot tall window beside the front door. (I was throwing it against the concrete front step and catching it as it came back).  I thought I was in trouble and Dad came home from work and just said "Well tomorrow you are going to learn how to replace a pane of glass" and as the next day was Saturday we got up early, went to Key's Lunch counter for a Saturday morning breakfast then went and picked up our supplies and went home and fixed the glass.

I have often set my Dad as the measureing bar for being a good father and am embarrassed at how many times I have fallen short

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Ahh, the right tool for the job. I am often torn between that and the fun of macguyvering or performing redneck engineering. :D  Both seem to foster a feeling of rugged self-suffiency.  The ultimate is the fonzie bump to fix things. I love when that works.   

Yup, it was just a magnetic bar with a small "v" notch that fit the glazing points.  Easy peasy. 

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

My dad did that with me as a kid when I threw a golf ball through a 6 foot tall window beside the front door. (I was throwing it against the concrete front step and catching it as it came back).  I thought I was in trouble and Dad came home from work and just said "Well tomorrow you are going to learn how to replace a pane of glass" and as the next day was Saturday we got up early, went to Key's Lunch counter for a Saturday morning breakfast then went and picked up our supplies and went home and fixed the glass.

I have often set my Dad as the measureing bar for being a good father and am embarrassed at how many times I have fallen short

I have been equipping my daughters with tools and practical experience their entire lives.  My eldest just renovated her bathroom which included wiring changes, plumbing changes, tile, paint and flooring work.  I supervised but was mostly hands off. 

The other day I told her "you aren't marrying your father, you are your father."  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

How the flock DO you put them in withoot breaking the glass?

You can use a putty knife, screwdriver, or a glazing tool.

The trick is not to push down on the glass - at all - while seating the glazing point.  Any and all force should be parallel to the flat surface of the glass so the glazing point slides along the surface of the glass and the actual point embeds itself into the wood of the frame.

As long as you don't push down on the glass, and as long as the wood frame isn't twisted or doesn't have any high spots, you'll never break a pane seating a glazing point by pushing parallel to the glass.

• Heart 2

I've got all new stuff.

There doesn't appear to be any caulk anywhere.

Each of the double-hung windows is dual solid panes with a grid between them that appears to divide it into 6 small panes, but there's only one solid sheet of glass to clean on each side!  The vinyl material is ok even with water from a shower raining on it.  The contractor put an opaque privacy screen on the bottom pane.

20210627_105950_900p.thumb.jpg.ab3f74d4ed790ed601f57280af9a8ca6.jpg