Sweet corn

Airehead

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Microwave for two minutes an ear. You can shuck it before or after you nuke it.

I think owl go buy some corn. The corn stand is right across from the drug store and I need to pick up a prescription.

Goode pointe aboot the shucking. Same for grilling. Lately I grill it post-shuck, so maybe next time I will try it pre-shuck. I never even thought of microwaving pre-shuck. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Yuppers. $.75 an ear here at farm stands, only a slight discount for bulk. 

Ours is $5.00 for thirteen ears and never a bad ear. Some stands sell it for $4.00 or even $3.00 but you never know what you are going to get. If you think about it how much food of any kind can you get for $.75 these days?

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Ours is $5.00 for thirteen ears and never a bad ear. Some stands sell it for $4.00 or even $3.00 but you never know what you are going to get. If you think about it how much food of any kind can you get for $.75 these days?

I would live on dirt cheap Produce Junction produce if I was single or had a like-thinking vegetablerarian wife. 

• Heart 2

Microwave for about 2 minutes an ear.  Don’t do anything before microwaving.  When done, cut through the husk and cob about an inch up from the butt end.  With a hot pad squeeze the ear out of the husk from the top.  The cooked ear will slide out and the silk will stay in the husk.

Easy peazy and great corn.

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You buy corn?  I thought you go out in the 1 acre garden and select a premium ear.  I brought in 2 of them.

This was a tough year. I didn’t plant a garden. I’m still struggling with my health. I planted some sunflowers and the free range chickens ate most of them. I have one tomato plant and three pepper plants. One ghost pepper, one Trinidad Scorpion, and one Carolina Reaper.

• Heart 1

I grill our corn on the cob, wrapped in foil with butter, indirect heat.  

Living in rural IL, we have local farmers who grow some great sweet corn.  If I recall, $5 get you 12 ears of corn.

That's the plan for tomorrow.. and of course with bratwurst, and baked potatoes on the grill too.  And beer... 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I grill mine. Wo7 shucks and gets every last strand of silk. A light coat of avocado oil and they go on indirect heat for about 20 minutes. I eat them with no butter or salt.

Tonight is grilled chicken wings and glazed with the plum habanero jam. Sugar snap peas on the side. 

F0B4936E-5F07-4EC1-BA21-8DD61A98AEC7.jpeg

I grilled our wings tonight. Plain, added garlic parm afterwards. 

• Heart 2