New test site

Square Wheels

It's still a month or three away, but if you'd like to see the new test site, it's here.
I have done nothing to configure it, this is a fresh install direct from the company.

POSTS FROM THAT SITE WILL NOT COUNT ON THIS SITE AND WILL BE DELETED REGULARLY.
There are no rules for this site, I will modify and delete posts as I see fit.

If you'd like moderator or admin access on that site, let me know after you sign up.

The nicest thing I can say, and yes sometimes I try to be nice (but not often) - OK the nicest thing I can say - and it really hurts to be nice - Ok the nicest thing is that the new site sucks a big one!

Who is responsible for crap like this?  The forum guy likes to throw is weight around and ban people but who does he work for?  Who sits at the top of this dung heap?

Why do we need to change from this site?  

Progress?  At some point this version will no longer be supported.

I don't like the round avatar business.  What else is different other than the color?

I am suspicious of forum change, Rodale did this all the time, so I am with Sue on this.  Thanks for letting us have a say, though!

The avatar's can be switched from round to the square we have now.  The editor is much better than the current version.  The mobile version is also much better than what we have now, and what we have now is pretty great.  There are a lot of other enhancements too.

I'll do a test migration of the entire site when they release the final version.  I'll leave it up to a vote if we should upgrade, and what changes we need to make to ensure most people are happy.

I'll do a test migration of the entire site when they release the final version.  I'll leave it up to a vote if we should upgrade, and what changes we need to make to ensure most people are happy.

Which software makes it easier for you to manage the site and has the greater potential for (eventual) profit for you?

While you are thoughtful and gracious to ask our opinions, I would suggest that since you are the one putting in all the work and taking all the risks your vote counts most.

The rest of us are pretty much along for the (free) ride.

That's what Rodale said, too.   ;)

:(

I remember that well and that's one of the reasons I am providing a test site.  This will not be the final product, but it is getting close.  I will also give anyone who wants it access to be a moderator or admin for the test site so you can see the options / settings / choices and help shape the upgrade.

Rodale moved to a whole different platform.  We will be upgrading the current version of software using the same vendor.

Which software makes it easier for you to manage the site and has the greater potential for (eventual) profit for you?

While you are thoughtful and gracious to ask our opinions, I would suggest that since you are the one putting in all the work and taking all the risks your vote counts most.

The rest of us are pretty much along for the (free) ride.

I bet SuzieQ starts cutting back on what I get paid to post here so she can go to India and kill elephants with a solid gold gun from the comfort of her convertible Porsche.

One of the bad things about software is that it is designer driven.  That is to say that no matter how perfect a version of software is, it always must be updated or else the software people have nothing to do.

So in some future time and place, a piece of software will be so exact and correct for what it is intended that it could be said to be "perfect".  Unfortunately, some designer, paid solely to revise software, will revise it to make it un-perfect.    :(