got a cheaper bike wheel rim

shootingstar

it is a model that replaces an old front one that's been on bike for past decade.  I shouldn't have been so impulsive...done research instead. But they had the same model in stock when they were outta stock for a while.  And I've been warned for last 2 years with worn-down tire rim.

Most likely what I got is fine for my needs...I haven't planned any long distance bike trips out of town, at this time. However, I don't have a car, so the bike rules as the major transportation for me. 

I noticed it has a schrader valve. Sigh. I better look at my bike pump...and see if I can switch/use it. Rear bike rim is presta valve.

Educate me about tire rims....I know that more spokes of a certain style are desired. No I don't think I have to have carbon.  I am a lighter weight person. And know it's the rear tire where I carry the grocery weight. I do ALL my grocery shopping by bike during spring into late fall/early winter. I do bike with significant weight because I have to. 

Just now, shootingstar said:

I did. Impulsively.

So probably YOU should tell US about that rim, and we can offer some suggestions on how to build it up - especially Rattlecan.  You have the new rim, the existing hub, and likely just need the new spokes?  Or can you choose the spoke pattern still?

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So probably YOU should tell US about that rim, and we can offer some suggestions on how to build it up - especially Rattlecan.  You have the new rim, the existing hub, and likely just need the new spokes?  Or can you choose the spoke pattern still?

And nipples.  We can talk about nipples!  I have a few opinions about those, but @Randomguy probably has stronger ones.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

please don't make me weep...I don't want to add more money about spokes right now for a new wheel rim. Maybe I should wait until things break..

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I noticed it has a schrader valve. Sigh. I better look at my bike pump...and see if I can switch/use it. Rear bike rim is presta valve.

You have two choices to make things simpler so that you don't have to change the pump each time. You could put in a tube with a presta valve plus an adapter to fit the hole. Or you can get a cheap Schrader adapter that screws on the presta valve. 

There is a third option for a floor pump. There are some floor pumps that automatically adapt to both Schrader and presta valve. My Specialize pump does that. However you could still run into a problem if you have a flat on the road as I haven't seen any mini-pumps or CO2 inflators that automatically adapt.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, shootingstar said:

please don't make me weep...I don't want to add more money about spokes right now for a new wheel rim. Maybe I should wait until things break..

Let’s first clarify some terminology. Did you in fact buy a rim minus the hub and spokes, which is what the term means to a wheel builder, of did you buy a complete wheel? I hear people routinely refer to a complete wheel as a rim or even say tire when they mean wheel.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

rim plus hub and spokes.  Of course, I'm aiming for a better tire..which is a different thread topic today.

I know, just impulsive.  

Okay so you bought a front wheel. So long as it is the correct size and compatible with whatever brake system your bike has it will fulfill the role. You are not a large heavy person And not using for heavy loaded touring so I would not sweat about spoke count. Just buy a Schwalbe tube with a Presta valve if you want to match valves with the rear. 
 They have a nut that fits a Presta valve to a Shrader hole.

• Heart 1