What NOT Boring Events Are You Watching?

Razors Edge

I tried watching table tennis.  

By the way, sister and I over 30 yrs. ago or more, I met a CAnadian national champion for table tennis.  It IS very fast game.  I understand for the Olympics they had to use bigger balls, 40 mm, so the TV camera could catch the ball action for viewers.

Badminton is more fun to watch...

14 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

You already missed one of the best events, the women's cycling road race.

Women's road race is one of the two events I actually taped while I was away.  Still haven't gotten around to watching it.  The men's was torture with the schizophrenic changing to other events in the interest of "covering everything, none of it well".

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Women's road race is one of the two events I actually taped while I was away.  Still haven't gotten around to watching it.  The men's was torture with the schizophrenic changing to other events in the interest of "covering everything, none of it well".

Would you like me to post the results and highlights?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

BTW, golf is infinitely more sane than freestyle bmx!  Sheesh! One extreme to the other. :D

Sadly, I thought equestrian trials ("Eventing") was sane until they started killing horses.  That is ROYALLY FUCKED UP. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, I thought equestrian trials ("Eventing") was sane until they started killing horses.  That is ROYALLY FUCKED UP. 

It’s not called killing.  It’s called putting them down.  Why did they have to put a horse down?

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

It’s not called killing.  It’s called putting them down.  Why did they have to put a horse down?

In All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot had to shoot a promising race horse because of a twisted colon that had cut off blood supply and couldn’t be operated on to fix it. :( He had to earn back the respect of the community afterwards. 

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So what the hell did you want them to do let the horse suffer? This could have happened any where, and they treated the horse in a most humane way. Taking from your words, your attitude and spouting off is ROYALL FUCKED UP. Why don't you just give the Olympics a rest?

I hope you enjoyed the interaction of the two high jumpers that decided to share the gold metal or the two 800m runners that fell and finished together. I thought the wrong runner was reinstated for the final, but that is just my opinion.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

So what the hell did you want them to do let the horse suffer? This could have happened any where, and they treated the horse in a most humane way. Taking from your words, your attitude and spouting off is ROYALL FUCKED UP. Why don't you just give the Olympics a rest?

I hope you enjoyed the interaction of the two high jumpers that decided to share the gold metal or the two 800m runners that fell and finished together. I thought the wrong runner was reinstated for the final, but that is just my opinion.

Hey, I hope we can at least acknowledge the DEATH of the horse.  I generally think, had a human athlete been killed at the games (definitely if an American athlete), we'd acknowledge and talk about it.  Maybe not? I guess horses are not really something we should discuss except when things are rosey?  Equestrian Eventing is a beautiful sport and we don't want to sully it with the reality of how many horses are put down. 

Let's pretend it didn't happen and focus on the human interest story of the day!